30 amp extension cord length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ant21b

How long does the 30 amp extension cord need to be to connect to rv park power? 25 feet, 50 feet. What is the standard length most people carry?

In the vast majority of parks 25-30 feet will be fine.

I do go to some state parks that have erratic lots and they allow you to park any which way you care to (dirt, grass, sand etc.) so I do carry an extra 25 foot extension cord so I can do just that in case I need a longer hook up.

On the other hand, I have parked then realized I needed 3 more feet of line, so I simply moved the rig again to make it work. Also, I don't have automatic levelers, so I tend to try to find a naturally level spot first and this may or may not put me close to the box.

Usually the standard that comes with the rv is 25.
How much you will need is hard to say but generally 50 will get you to 99% of rv spots.

I believe a 50 foot extension uses heavier gauge wire so you cannot put 2 25 foot 30 amp extensions together they cannot carry 30 amps if connected together safely. Is this correct?

That's sort of correct.  Amp capacity does vary with length and a total of 50 ft should really have thicker gauge wire. However, most Rvs are stuck with their base shore power cord, which is usually 10 gauge wire if its a 30A RV. If you add an extension, the standard 30A extension is also 10 gauge. Using a larger gauge extension, e.g. 8 gauge, doesn't help much because the base cord is still 10 gauge. And chances are the outlet box is also wired with 10 gauge.  I doubt if you will find a 30A extension that has larger than 10 gauge wire in the stores.

Some RVs have removable (pluggable) power cords, so you could substitute a longer cord for the OEM one. And maybe find or make one with larger gauge wire for longer distances.

When you ask about "extension cord", or you talking about an add-on for extra length, or the cord that comes with the RV from the factory? Or both?  Typically the RV comes with a power cord that is 20-25 ft long. Extensions are available in various lengths, but an additional 25 ft is the most common.

Occasionally, sites will be arraigned in a way that makes no sense at all. Last weekend we were on a site with the sewer connection on the opposite end from the water and electric.

So it was a single length of sewer hose, and 50 feet for fresh water and power.

Often local building codes require a substantial separation between fresh water and sewer lines. 25-30 feet in some places I've been (and campgrounds I have worked in). Not just between the outlets either - often the separation applies to any portion of the pipe, underground as well as above.

As said the standard of 25 - 30 feet is in most cases sufficient and has been our experience except in one case.  One CG we made a reservation in I found no power at the pedestal of our assigned spot. When I mentioned it to the manager, we were given two options either move to the adjacent spot or plug into the adjacent spot as the space was not already reserved.  We chose to stay in the spot assigned as we had a 50' extension which we used at our house to plug in, so I always carried it.  This allowed us to reach the working pedestal.  All this to say with a 25-30' cord you should be good to go but it might not be a bad idea to carry a 25' or so extension just for the unexpected.

I carried around a heavy gauge 20A cord for many years that the previous owner of my old popup threw in.
Never used it that I recall in all the years with the popup, and never in approx 2 years with the MH.  My dad give me a 30A cord...maybe 15-20ft I'd guess...that he'd picked up at some garage sale or someplace just a year or so ago.  I replaced the 20A cord with it in my storage bin.  Used it for the 1st time ever just last weekend...at my storage lot.  My service drop cable was about 6ft short to reach an outlet.

My point is.... in my limited experience you don't need it.  I think my service drop cable is 15ft....maybe it's 20, I can't remember..... but I have rarely ever used it's full length

I carry two 25 foot cords in addition to the OEM cord, for a total of 75 feet. The last time I used them all is when power went out at 1:00 am, and I plugged into a pedestal two sites away.

I (also) carry 2, 30 footers, 1 works most of the time. But I'm finding that some newer, or remodeled parks have the E/W/S connections located at, or near the center of the spaces/spots. Our 5w connections are at the center... for those, I use a 10 foot, 30amp RV extension cord I found on Amazon. With the Surge guard on one end, and the 90* adapter on the other... a lot less Hassel.. than dealing with the 30 footer, for the Shorter length needs.(?)

I've done the same with the 50amp cord needs with a 15 extension cord. REAL nice there, Hassel wise.

(Also reduced the Water Hose Hassel by cutting a 50' hose to 25, 15 and 10 foot lengths ?)

Life Is Good(er).  :) ;)

I have a 25 or so foot 50 amp cord (hard wired to the coach on one end), plus I carry a 25 ft 30 amp cord, plus a 25 ft heavy gauge 20 amp cord, plus adapters (mainly for power tools, such as my electric impact wrench in case I need to change a tire).  So far if I have a 50 amp site, the 50 amp cord has been long enough, though I have seen some creative 30 amp situations, such as 2 or more RV's sharing a single power post, or power posts at public electric only campgrounds being mounted behind a back in space.

If I am in a 30 amp site I generally use the 25 ft 30 amp cord, and connect it to the 50 amp cord, as the 30 amp is a lot lighter weight and less hassle.  (I am aware of the potential voltage drop)

having helped to put out a fire when I was a teenager, I would be extremely reluctant to use one of those extension cord reels.  This was one of those retractable reel extension cords powering a drop light....  I have no memory of what size bulb, or if anything else was plugged in at the time.... but I could certainly believe it was near capacity or perhaps even overloaded....but still ..... don't think I would chance it....

I carry a 25', 30 amp extension cord with me. I've only HAD to use it maybe twice. I CHOOSE to use it, though, sometimes when the ground is sandy/dirty/wet since it's easier to roll up and just toss in the truck when we're packing up.

OTOH, I HAVE to use it when parked at home since my 30 amp plug on the garage wall is (1) near the front and (2) on the awning side of the camper. I really need to move that thing.  ::)

The power cord in my last coach was 30 ft, but I still carried a 10 ft and a 25 ft extension. Didn't need either often, but when you need it, there is no substitute. Except maybe running a genset instead, where that is allowed.  A case of "Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

Sometimes we just wanted to park a little further away from the pedestal than usual, or maybe "front-in" to a site designed as a back-in. Also frequently needed extensions when parking in the yard or driveway at a friend or relative's house or when using our "twin 30" Y-adapter.

I have a 50 amp cord with a 50 amp extension from these guys
This is the Canadian site but there is a US one too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-085513_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-085513_Chrome.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
I have carried extension cords for years used them occasionally. When we were fulltime in a 50a motorhome I had a 15' cord of 50a and an adapter to use a 25' cord of 30a if needed. I can only remember having used both 1 time and that was from a 30a outlet. We had that RV for 14 years. I probably used the extra 15' cord less than once a year as an average.

Currently we are in a 30a travel trailer and I had 2 cords that were 25' and 30a. I think that I may have used both one time. I now only carry one of them and have used it one time in the past couple of years and that was in a host site at a ND state park that was in the employee area.

A single 50 amp & a single 30amp power cord and a 25 ft 20 amp to plug in a bug zapper, a drop light if needed, truck block heater etc.

I believe a 50 foot extension uses heavier gauge wire so you cannot put 2 25 foot 30 amp extensions together they cannot carry 30 amps if connected together safely. Is this correct?
Safety isn't the issue. The issue is the voltage drop, not the current carrying capacity. The resistance adds with more extensions and more connectors/plugs. You can still use as many 30 amp cords as you want in series, one or a hundred, but under a heavy load the voltage will drop with more extensions, but so will the current capacity as the resistance is increased. You will end up with less than a 30 amp load capacity at the same voltage fed into the line. That will cause the voltage to drop under heavier loads. Light loads won't see the difference. Heavier loads may not get enough voltage to work normally. But more length also means more area to dissipate the heat, so safety isn't the issue with adding extensions.

Notice this chart says nothing about lengths.

-Don- Ashland, OR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom