30 FT travel trailer similar to 30 FT Class A?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cass Sumrall

My wife & I decided to rent a few times before deciding on an RV to purchase & although we think we want a Class A, the only thing we have found to rent so far is a travel trailer.

We recently rented a 2005 Coachman 300 TBS 30 FT travel trailer to stay in at a festival. The dealer set it up for us so we didn't have to deal with that or towing. We just wanted to experience living in one for a few days to see if our conclusions about size & configuration were correct. We liked the size for just the two of us but we are not sure if the 30 FT size translates to a 30 FT in a class A. Would it be close?

We really like the Itasca 30T Sunstar in a class A but it would be a big investment until we are pretty sure it is where we want to end up. Would it be similar to the 30 FT travel trailer we stayed in as far as feel of the size?

Should we try renting a Class C in the same size?  Would it tell us anything more than the travel trailer did?

Is it possible to rent a class A somewhere?

Thanks,
Cass

It might help to know where you are or in what area you would like to rent this class A....

There are certainly many more Class C's available as rentals. Google RV rentals and select among the major companies like Cruise America or something similar. IMHO, it would be a waste of time and money to simply rent and park as you did with the trailer. I doubt you would even find a similar option commercially available with a motorized RV.

I think the Class A machines have more apparent room available than a similar Class C. Most of them certainly have a lot more storage and, although that may not be a requirement for a short term rental, it certainly becomes important if you were to choose to buy as a result of your experience.

It would make more sense to me  to rent the type (Class) you might be considering buying... and perhaps you should consider purchasing a recent model USED RV rather than take the huge depreciation hit that goes with a new one.

Cass Sumrall said:

Evidentally.  El Monte Rents, a nationwide firm rents them, so they say.  http://www.elmonterv.com/en-us/rent/rvs-we-rent/ 

Whether or not you want a class A, a class C or a trailer will take a lot of research on your part. I would suggest visiting some RV dealers in your area and walk through a bunch of different units. I think a 30 foot trailer and a 30 foot class A would have about the same amount of room on the inside. However  the class A will have a lot more storage space and larger holding tanks.

Congratulations on deciding to rent a few different units before you buy.  When you're talking about such a small living space small details that you can easily overlook during the buying experience can make a big difference in how happy you will be when you're living in it for an extended period.

Class A and C RV lengths are measured bumper to bumper.  The house in this case is equal to the overall length, but you lose 3 ft. or so to the driving compartment.  You have the length inside the front walls, but the dashboard, drivers and passengers seats make it less than fully useful.

Travel trailers are measured from the hitch to the bumper.  The front wall starts2-3 ft. behind the hitch, so the length of the house in a 30 ft. unit is about 27-28 ft.  But all of this is usable space.

Note that you rented an "entry level" unit.  Nothing wrong with that, but different RVs are available with upgraded interiors.  Things like more comfortable furnishings, fiberglass vs. plastic bathrooms and showers, better countertops and cabinets, etc.  It all depends on what you want to spend.

Also, when you're talking about such a small space even a few inches difference here or there can make a big difference in the livability of the unit.  Was the non-slide bedroom adequate, or would you be happier with a larger bed and/or more walk-around room available in a rig with a bedroom slideout? ,
How was the bathroom layout - anything you'd change there?  Storage for pots, pans, dishes, food, clothes, etc?

Cass Sumrall said:

Yes.  I know for a fact that several of the local dealers in the Minneapolis area rent class As.

I don't know if you're in Minneapolis or not, but in most parts of the country, you should be able to find someone.  If not, well, in the greater scheme of things, some travel to a city that has a more active rental market might be worthwhile.

Cass Sumrall said:
We recently rented a 2005 Coachman 300 TBS 30 FT travel trailer to stay in at a festival. The dealer set it up for us so we didn't have to deal with that or towing. We just wanted to experience living in one for a few days to see if our conclusions about size & configuration were correct. We liked the size for just the two of us but we are not sure if the 30 FT size translates to a 30 FT in a class A. Would it be close?

The Coachman 300 TBS is typical of the lower end TTs.  When someone sets out to build a cheap RV the first two things to go are windows and quality cabinetry.  Like many cheaper TTs, there's no forward-facing window, the other windows are small, and the cabinetry is MDF with a sort of a decal on it.

There isn't really a lower end like that in class As, and so any class A you get will have more windows and better cabinetry, and probably better upholstery and wall and floor coverings.  The money you spend buys interior buildout more than anything else -- all the manufacturers use the same appliances, pretty much, for example.

The added windows contribute to a feeling of space, and there's more exterior storage in a class A.

We really like the Itasca 30T Sunstar in a class A but it would be a big investment until we are pretty sure it is where we want to end up. Would it be similar to the 30 FT travel trailer we stayed in as far as feel of the size?

It has 3 slides so the interior will feel quite a bit bigger.  I personally am not a big fan of slides but some people like them.

I would strongly recommend that you drive both a class A and a class C before you buy.  There are some people who have strong preferences over one or the other.
I have owned both and I don't buy the whole bit that the A has a lot more usable space in similar lengths.  It depends on what you need for sleeping arrangements.  There are more options for sleeping in most class Cs, and a lot more exterior storage in most class As.
Good luck with your decision.

The 2 of us and our small doggie are quite comfortable in the class A we have. Since we live in places where the weather is good we sorta include our patio area as part of our living space most of the time.
As much as we like the class A, we are discussing going into a C simply for the cockpit doors which make it easier to jump in and out for sightseeing while traveling. And, do not want slides.
We are minimalists for the greater part, but are enjoying having more space than the sailboat we lived aboard for 5 yrs.

Everyone has different needs/wants. You have decide what those are for you.
Good luck with your research.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom