30% off msrp ? when getting rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakamuru

So been told by some people that when negotiating getting a rv (new or used?) people are able to haggle it down to 30% off. (that is a lot!). So been looking at some truck rv and saw one that I'm wanting to get but not sure if the price is firm or if indeed I can offer 30% off

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Alp-Adventurer-901SB-50th-Anniversary-Edition-5005304453

it's listed at 38k so if I do the math of 30% that's a whopping 11.4k!

or non rvtrader.com but actual dealer https://www.apachecamping.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=5786896&p=2&s=Year&d=D&limitSearch=manuf%2Cmodel%2Clocation%2Cstockno%2Ccatname%2Cnadaid%2Cbrand&sq=truck&fr=xAllInventory

This is listed around 37 k so 30% off that will be around 11k too..

1)Are both sites msrp?

My gut reaction thinks this is not msrp and even if it was most dealers will opt out. Especially asking via email lol

So let me know, as I'm gearing towards getting used or new at rvtrader.com or local (apache rv in seattle area or ryans rv.. or even Poulsbo)

2). Also how long do negotiations take usually? I don't wanna be rude and just storm off etc but don't wanna spend playing tag and using up lot of time. Hence the 30% msrp off seems like good start. Question is how many places do I need to go before dealer accepts

ask to see dealers invoice. Do you realize how much trailer you can by for that kind of money?

I think you will have to do more research...

30% off of "Sale Price" ??
A lot will depend on how bad the seller needs to move the camper.

I will say that if you want to be that person that got the best deal be ready to play the game.

The dealer's invoice has no bearing on what they actually paid for any vehicle. It's purely a marketing ploy.

Factory discounts and incentives are not reflected on the invoice.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/Adventurer/M-901SB-Ext-Cab/6587201/Values

According to NADA it has a suggested list price of $39,354. I would offer $30,000 and then walk out the door when they say no. They will be calling you to offer your best price.

Do you realize how much trailer you can by for that kind of money?
That has absolutely nothing to do with the original question. Kind of insulting. Obviously the OP has been doing a lot of shopping. I think he is choosing what works best for his situation. The invoice is pure fantasy land.

cavie said:
ask to see dealers invoice. Do you realize how much trailer you can by for that kind of money?

i will ask about the invoice but remmbered that some invoices were not accurate. not sure what they meant by that (do they photoshop it or something lol) but who knows how much they actually got it for.

Gizmo100 said:

I will say that if you want to be that person that got the best deal be ready to play the game.

Yeah this negotiating game seems it will be bit of headache and take time. If it goes on long I would have saved enough from the time used.  But I do agree they take chunk off to have it off the lot or some type of clearance. So I don't mind getting 1-3 year older campers as people took good care of them (even older ones are good but just like to stick with few years back)

SeilerBird said:
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2019/Adventurer/M-901SB-Ext-Cab/6587201/Values

According to NADA it has a suggested list price of $39,354. I would offer $30,000 and then walk out the door when they say no. They will be calling you to offer your best price.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the original question. Kind of insulting. Obviously the OP has been doing a lot of shopping. I think he is choosing what works best for his situation. The invoice is pure fantasy land.

That's what I was looking for. Some kind of price guide (like Kelly blue book for rv).. and other price comparison online and then do the offer. But would you say 30% is the ideal savings and that is considered a great buy?

The dealer's advertised price often has little to do with factory MSRP.  Unlike cars, there is no federally mandated MSRP sticker on display and dealers have been known to put out inflated price sheets with words like "list price" on it and further pad them with various fees or add-ons for things the MSRP was intended to cover. In other words, caveat emptor!

Can you get 30% off the factory MSRP?  Probably, at least on paper, but the dealer will almost surely take some of that back in fees with words like "dealer prep" in the description.  Only the bottom line is important, so don't lose sight of that while seeking a discount percentage. Be aware that some (many?) dealers won't discount that low, especially on popular models. That said, don't be afraid to make a low-ball offer - you can always raise it later if you still want to buy.  Any deal where you get what you want at a price you are willing to pay is "good deal".  Think ahead of time how much you are willing to pay (bottom line) to get the RV you desire.  And stick with that number.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The dealers advertised price often has little to do with factory MSRP. Unlike cars, there is no federally mandated MSRP sticker on display and dealers have been known to put out inflated price sheets with words like "list price" on it and further pad them with various fees or add-ons for things the MSRP was intended to cover. In other words, caveat emptor!

Can you get 30% off the factory MSRP? Probably, at least on paper, but the dealer will almost surely take some of that back in fees with words like "dealer prep" in the description.  Only the bottom line is important, so don't lose sight of that while seeking a discount percentage.
Exactly right Gary. That is why I only buy used. I don't like playing these games.

I was at a dealer today looking at new TT?s. Listed price was $32,000. Salesman said of course I wouldn?t have to pay that. He said it would be in the low $20?s. 30% of $32,000 is $9600 which would make it $22,400 or low $20?s.

When I pulled up to the dealer and went in and after introductions the sales guy asked what I was looking for. I said small TT since my truck is ratedfor 5200#. He said we need to keep you under 4000# UVW. I?ve been to other dealers that didn?t care what your truck was rated for.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The dealer's advertised price often has little to do with factory MSRP.  Unlike cars, there is no federally mandated MSRP sticker on display and dealers have been known to put out inflated price sheets with words like "list price" on it and further pad them with various fees or add-ons for things the MSRP was intended to cover. In other words, caveat emptor!

Can you get 30% off the factory MSRP?  Probably, at least on paper, but the dealer will almost surely take some of that back in fees with words like "dealer prep" in the description.  Only the bottom line is important, so don't lose sight of that while seeking a discount percentage. Be aware that some (many?) dealers won't discount that low, especially on popular models. That said, don't be afraid to make a low-ball offer - you can always raise it later if you still want to buy.  Any deal where you get what you want at a price you are willing to pay is "good deal".  Think ahead of time how much you are willing to pay (bottom line) to get the RV you desire.  And stick with that number.

Good advice. Thank you. Nice there is newbie corner. Wouldnt it be nice if everyone just got same amount of price :)

SeilerBird said:
Exactly right Gary. That is why I only buy used. I don't like playing these games.

When buying used how come these games dont come to play? It seems it's still the same. Just automatic price reduction due to being used but are they more lenient on raising the price to used? And less price gouging?

Oldgator73 said:
I was at a dealer today looking at new TT?s. Listed price was $32,000. Salesman said of course I wouldn?t have to pay that. He said it would be in the low $20?s. 30% of $32,000 is $9600 which would make it $22,400 or low $20?s.

When I pulled up to the dealer and went in and after introductions the sales guy asked what I was looking for. I said small TT since my truck is ratedfor 5200#. He said we need to keep you under 4000# UVW. I?ve been to other dealers that didn?t care what your truck was rated for.

So dealer let you know . Seems I like to find these type who know what consumers are paying. I just dont wanna get taken advantage by one. Wondering I can just hire some rv expert who purchased lots and just give him some fees. Any takers in seattle?

nakamuru said:
When buying used how come these games dont come to play? It seems it's still the same. Just automatic price reduction due to being used but are they more lenient on raising the price to used? And less price gouging?
I am sorry I was not clear. I only buy used and only from a private party. Dealers are worthless scum no matter new or used.

Used RV prices vary widely.  Unlike autos, there is no stable, nationwide market that sets a benchmark price, plus there are sometimes large, legitimate differences by region, season, condition & options.  Remember that an RV is a house more than a vehicle, so factors like location & condition have a lot more impact.  Since there is no well-known market price and much less local competition, dealers are free to set prices however they like.

Much of this is our own (the buyers) fault. By focusing obsessively on discounts, we encourage dealers to price high and then offer a steep discount or sale price.  A higher asking price also lets the dealer offer attractive-looking trade-ins, a plus in a business where high depreciation makes actual trade values shockingly low. Try to ignore the asking price game and get to the bottom line, what it will cost you to get out the door.  Don't waste time trying to figure his asking price or add-ons.

Note that private sellers often also far off reasonable market values. They may not have researched prices and have an inflated idea what their RV ought to be worth, or they owe way too much money and are trying to get enough to pay off a loan.

Use the NADA RV Guide to get a rough ball park of the value. Check online sales sites for other asking prices, and check the actual selling prices shown at PPL's website. Those prices will be on the low side of average retail because they are actually private sales done via consignment, but it gives some factual data.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold-rvs

I have bought private party and U have bought from dealers.  Advantage with private party is when you know the person.  Just because they are not a dealer does not elevate them from the before mentioned scum.  Just because it is private party does not mean it is not over inflated price, as mentioned some are trying to pay off a loan.  Dealers have a reputation to protect, a private party has their own pride, but in dealing with both the PP can hide more.  I have worked at a dealer in both sales and service, and the worst liars I have encountered was the occasional customer describing the condition of their trade.  Be aware, do your homework. 

I heard you can get 30% off the price,  well I heard that Elvis was alive and living with Bigfoot.  Both myths.  Yes you can get that 30%, it does happen, but not a general rule.

Want the best deal?  Be ready with check n hand, or at least available, be ready to buy, choose a day near end of month, if they are trying to hit a goal, that will help you in negotiations.  Do your homework.

Yes you can get that 30%, it does happen, but not a general rule.
Good point, Bill. If you drive over to Fred's RV Sales in your home town, odds are against getting a 25-30% discount off the actual factory MSRP. 15%-20% is more likely. To get a steep discount, you may have to shop at a distance and find a high-volume dealer who specializes in internet advertising & sales. 

Many of the reported 30% off purchases have suspicious arithmetic, e.g. the dealer was "asking $xxxx and I got it for...".  Or the discounted price did not include dealer prep or an extra  "dealer fee", either of which can add substantially to the out-the-door price.

Gizmo100 said:

This and forget about 30% off if you have a trade. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom