30amp dual A/C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldude

I have a 30 amp service on my 32' with dual A/C (13500) I know that I can not run both on the generator but can I run both with shore line?

Oldude said:
I have a 30 amp service on my 32' with dual A/C (13500) I know that I can not run both on the generator but can I run both with shore line?

Hi Oldude,

Actually, you should be able to run both with your genset but NOT with shore power.

My experience with a motorhome having 30A shore power is the same as Jim's. Our prior coach used to have switches inside one of the overhead cabinets to allow us to select which a/c to run on shore power. The generator was large enough to run both at the same time.

As jim mentioned I would think you could run both Ac/s on the Genset but not on shore power.  There should be a switch inside to select which c you want to run while on shore power.  What make and year is your coach?  We may be able to help more knowing this.

I'm interested in your responces also.  I have an 89 Bounder with dual roof air.  Just replaced the front one with Duotherm's high efficiency model that pulls 10 amps and the back 15 amps. I think I might be a little to close to the limit to go with both.

Mike

Mike,

It's the starting current that usually causes the problem. My wife has run both ours on 30 amps a couple of times. Just been lucky the two compressors didn't start simultaneously.

tyefighter said:
I'm interested in your responces also.? I have an 89 Bounder with dual roof air.? Just replaced the front one with Duotherm's high efficiency model that pulls 10 amps and the back 15 amps. I think I might be a little to close to the limit to go with both.

Mike

Your's may be a little old but newer FW units have an Intellitec ECC that allows both units to be run as well as microwave, etc. The ECC simply sheds off one or more of the appliances to keep load at 30 amps or less. I run both AC's frequently and shedding has only taken place when they are both starting. They can both go under load. If we then use microwave, it will shed the rear AC until mw finishes and then restarts it.

Hi Leo,

I believe Bounder started with the Intellitec in '96. Our '95 didn't have it but the '96 did. As with many things, John Crean put a lot of "new" stuff in the Bounders as a test bed.

You should be able to run both on 30A just fine. We do it all the time. As Jim pointed out, it's the starting load that kills you. Chances of both starting at the same time are rare.  We have had both units try to start at the same time, twice in 10 years. When that happened the first time, we were on 50A campground power and it tripped the breaker. The second time, we were on the generator and it tripped also. I always make it a point to start one and wait a couple of miinutes before switching on the second one. We also watch and make sure to shut off one when using the microwave, or toaster.

Chet18013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom