30AMP powercord adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

04Duramax

Does anyone know where I can get an adapter (online preferably) that will connect a 30amp twistlock style cord to a regular (2 post+ ground) powercord? I have 2 of the same cords but I would like to connect them together. They both have one female twistlock end and one male normal style end.  Option 2 is to build my own from hardware store parts but I was looking for a manufactured one as my first choice. The local RV dealers don't have any suggestions.

I checked Camping World and several other places, no luck. Camping world had a good selection, not exactly what I needed. I need a male twist-lock style that converts to a female standard style.

Camping World carries adapters to let you plug into standard 20 - 30 - 50 amp campground recepticles.  The twist-lock connector is not used here.

Your best bet is a hardware store, as the twist-lock is used a lot around construction sites to string one extension cord to another.  Or you could try a boating store like West Marine.

I had a 30 amp receptacle put in at my home.  I would like to make up a 50 foot - 30 amp extension cord so I can reach my TT in the street so I can cool things down before setting off on a trip.  What size wire should I get for the extension cord?
Jake

Twist lock connectors are more commonly a marine application, you might check US Marine online.

I need a male twist-lock style that converts to a female standard style.
Don't think I've ever seen one like that. I'm guessing your TT has a male twist lock plug on it? Home Depot or Menards should have everything you need to build your own. As for wire sizes, the MINIMUM would be a #10ga; better would be an #8 or even #6. Make sure you get a heavy-duty plug for it too!

04Duramax said:
Does anyone know where I can get an adapter (online preferably) that will connect a 30amp twistlock style cord to a regular (2 post+ ground) powercord? I have 2 of the same cords but I would like to connect them together. They both have one female twistlock end and one male normal style end.? ?Option 2 is to build my own from hardware store parts but I was looking for a manufactured one as my first choice. The local RV dealers don't have any suggestions.

West Marine.? ?Look HERE.

I have never seen that particular adapter..

However ther is hope

At Camping World, or most any RV store, you should be able to pick up what is called a "Pigtail"  The one you want (They have different types) has the RV style "outlet" (Female end) and striped or simply cut wires on the other end, about 8 inches long.

Now visit an electrical supplier,  Pick up the plug end (Twist lock)

Hook up is easy, you can likely figure it out,,  If you can not someone at either store can likely do it for an unreasonable fee.  I can do it however I'm not licensed to do electrical work on other folks rigs

04Duramax said:
Does anyone know where I can get an adapter (online preferably) that will connect a 30amp twistlock style cord to a regular (2 post+ ground) powercord? I have 2 of the same cords but I would like to connect them together. They both have one female twistlock end and one male normal style end.  Option 2 is to build my own from hardware store parts but I was looking for a manufactured one as my first choice. The local RV dealers don't have any suggestions.

This seems like you just want to use the second cord as an extenson to the first which is attached to the trailer, is that correct? If that is the case why not wack off the Marinco connector and repace it with an standard 30 amp female.

Nelson

I did find the right adapter at a local RV store, they want $66.00 for it. I would be better of cutting off the twist lock and wiring on a female plug to make an extention cord.  I also checked out West Marine, I did not see the exact adapter there but it looks like a good place to find other similar items.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'd still go with the pigtail and plug method, should run under 20 bucks (I think the pigtales are around 8 or 9 bucks)

That way you can still use either cord if/when the need arrises.

Wireing up the plug is very easy  White wire to aluminum color screw, black to copper, green to green

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom