30amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would agree. I have never been asked what size my RV's power plug is, only if I wish 30a or 50a. It may be happening as we have downsized and no longer have a 50a RV, but in the 14 years we owned one it never happened to me and I frequently went with 30A when power needs were low.

I have ran into it 3 or 4 times over the last 5 year, where the RV park has a policy that all 50 amp RV's must be in 50 amp sites, and pay 50 amp rates. Our coach is a 28 ft class A, but has 50 amp hookup, which is rare for sub 30 ft motorhomes, so unless they come looking closely I doubt anyone would assume our coach had 50 amp connection.

I've stayed at just a few parks that insisted on payment for a 50 amp hookup for 50 amp rigs regardless of whether you used a 30 amp adapter or not. When I asked, I was told it's because too many people wait until dark and then plug into the 50 amp outlet. True? I have no idea...
I have had the same conversation with RV park desk clerks in the past. I haven't encountered it in the past 8 years though, DW insists on 50A. The first of this month I schooled her on how and why the EMS in our MH works and she is comfortable with 30A now.

where the RV park has a policy that all 50 amp RV's must be in 50 amp sites, and pay 50 amp rates.
Would they know the difference if you told them your RV is a 30 amp?

BTW, on my one short trip in my new RV to Cold Springs Station RV Park, I was asked if I wanted 30 or 50 amps (and it wasn't warm enough to even use one A/C unit). I said "it's 50 amps, but I can use either". They gave me a 30 amp slot. I now see here that they charge ten bucks more for 50 amps. But who needs it unless it's very hot? It's rarely hot there as the elevation is around 6,000'.

I also see that more 50 amp slots than 30 amp slot are reserved in Nov. Why would anybody need 50 amp service in Nov?

Is it because a few RVs have clothes driers or something else that requires the 50 amp service?

-Don- Reno, NV

Electric water heaters, heat pump / air conditioner units, etc. We just got back from a week in the mountains of New Mexico a couple of weeks ago, our first night there the low was 38F, we barely used any propane all week thanks to having a heat pump air conditioner unit, and dual electric / propane water heater.

Electric water heaters, heat pump / air conditioner units, etc.
I just now realized I never tested the A/C units or the furnace in my new RV. It was comfy all day and all night on my one trip and I forgot all about that stuff.

I recently bought one of those electric water heater thingies for my old RV. Still in the package, not yet installed.

My new RV has a tankless, so it doesn't waste any propane when not being used.

For heat when I am at an RV Park, I use a 120 VAC larger tower heater that I take with me on RV trips. I used it a lot when I was just in Oregon in my old RV. I never used the furnace during that trip, never needed to.

I wonder if my new RV furnace can run from AC. That could make the 50 amp service more useful. But the propane is cheaper than ten bucks per day extra for the 50 amp service, it's just saves me the hassle of get the propane tank filled.

-Don- Reno, NV

I can't comment on the Hot Rod electric retrofit kits, mine has factory dual eletric / propane water heater. So has the 1,440 watt electric heating element, which is only a little slower than propane heating the water, by contrast I think those add on hot rod water heater kits use 425-675 watt heater depending on which brand (the Camco model I think has a 425 watt, the original "Hot Rod" brand has 675)

mine has factory dual eletric / propane water heater.
I didn't even know they existed as a factory deal.

The one I have is a "Hot Rod". I have the unopened package in front of me. The tank thermostat has an adjustable setting from 90 to 150° (66 to 32°C).

I wonder if it will really do the 150°F. But the outside package has no mention of watts.

-Don- Reno, NV

I didn't even know they existed as a factory deal.

The one I have is a "Hot Rod". I have the unopened package in front of me. The tank thermostat has an adjustable setting from 90 to 150° (66 to 32°C).

I wonder if it will really do the 150°F. But the outside package has no mention of watts.

-Don- Reno, NV
My Hot Rodd is set at the higher end. I have not checked it with a thermostat but it is "scalding" hot right now. I never get/got temps that high with propane.

A big advantage of this is we can now get 3 back to back sailor showers and not run out of hot water.

And yes I am pretty sure the spec is 425W element.

A big advantage of this is we can now get 3 back to back sailor showers and not run out of hot water.
Tankless can do 300 back to back showers if you have the water. :)

In my old RV, it has enough hot water for just me, which is fine, these days.

But I like the idea of using electricty instead of propane when I am at an RV park.

-Don-

Last edited:
Why do you think it was lowered?
What he quotes are different brands so they probably were not lowered. I suspect that the numbers come from different size kits as I find that in the Hot Rod the 6 gallon model is 450 watts, 10 gallon model is 675 watts. I only found the two sizes on their website so it may be all that they make.

For Camco the 6 gallon kit is 425 watts, and the 10 gallon kit is 625 watts and they too seem to only make two sizes of kit.

As if they would bother to check.

IMO, they shouldn't even care.

Government parks yes, private parks may see it as a loss of revenue. If I owned the campground and a class A RV came in and asked for 30A service I'd drop by later to see what they plugged in.

We frequent a private park on Cape Cod. They always ask we want 30 or 50A. Depending on the time of year and our needs, I choose and use what I pay for. They always make a round after we arrive and ask if everything is good. I'm sure the power pedestal is on their "look at" list.
For $5-10 additional, why would someone want to cheat and run the risk of the park checking on them. :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom