30amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not just ask for 30 when you check in?
Mainly because I thought they only had one spot open, as I was staying on a Thursday and Friday night. Friday being the issue, of course. There was some type of fishing thingy going on in the area, making that RV park more full than usual. Really in the middle of nowhere. If it were a 50 amp, I would have taken it and been glad to pay more. There could be times I want the 50 amps, but that wasn't one of them. And if they have the 50 amps, I will probably use it for 240VAC direct and charge my electric motorcycle at 6,300 watts when I am in a hurry to charge (only happens very rarely). But I didn't even bring my cycle on that trip. My main purpose of that trip was to get familiar with my new RV and look for problems. And I found enough problems that it is back in the shop right now.

Besides, at the time I didn't even know they charged $10.00 more per night for the 50 amp service. In fact, I didn't even know until I checked after getting involved in this thread. So yeah, I will often ask for 30 amp, sometimes 50. But if they are packed, I will take whatever I can get regardless if a higher price.

I read some where 28ft max as I had looked at it for a stop, went to Tombstone instead. Might be a 2022 stop after the first of the year.
Last year during the peak of the COVID thing, many sites were closed in OPCNM. Perhaps most of them. Perhaps that was the issue. But my ~25 footer old RV had no issues. BTW, if you have a small RV, you're not supposed to hog up a large site. Each entrance to each area lists which size range of RVs are allowed, such as 25-30' or 31 to 40' etc. The only RV camp in OPCNM is Twin Peaks. There is another for tents only. There is also a tent section in TP where they allow no gennys at any time. Quiet hours in the main RV section except between Memorial Day and Labor Day where you can run you genny at any time. Perhaps even at night in mid summer. You won't bother anybody, you will most likely then be the only one there!

-Don- Reno, NV

Didn't say yours was 200K just an example of what I see. No your not guilty of theft of service if you paid for 30 amp and used 30 amp. I guess they trying to hide the cord led me to think you plugged into 50 amp when paying for 30. Why not just ask for 30 when you check in?
What I was talking about are RV parks that MANDATE 50 amp coaches must use 50 amp sites and pay the extra fee. I have ran into this a few times in my travels where the park would ask if I have a 30 amp or 50 amp coach, and I would (foolishly?) tell them it is a 50 amp, but I only need a 30 amp site for an overnight stop, they would then say they have a policy that 50 amp coaches must use 50 amp sites and pay the surcharge, then typically go on saying its due to something along the lines of 50 amp coaches burning out their 30 amp outlets, etc.

I would link to a website for one such park where I knew it was listed on the web site, but when I googled it, they appear to be permanently closed as of sometime in 2020.

Though what we are talking about here are RV parks that require any 50 amp capable RV to pay the 50 amp rate and use a 50 amp site, they are not allowed to park and use a 30 amp only site.
Yeah, I got that. But surely that is not a common thing?

Like Jayarr, I might grumble a bit if I encountered that, but I probably wouldn't be trying to limit myself to 30A either. One of many things in life that aren't worth getting my knickers in a twist.

We worked at one park that only had 50A sites. Not a 30A outlet anywhere in the park. We loaned (not rented) a 50/30 adapter to anybody with a 30A only rig, but everybody paid the same rate for a site.

I would not say it is common, but it is a practice I have ran across multiple times in the last 5 years.

What I was talking about are RV parks that MANDATE 50 amp coaches must use 50 amp sites and pay the extra fee. I have ran into this a few times in my travels where the park would ask if I have a 30 amp or 50 amp coach, and I would (foolishly?) tell them it is a 50 amp, but I only need a 30 amp site for an overnight stop, they would then say they have a policy that 50 amp coaches must use 50 amp sites and pay the surcharge, then typically go on saying its due to something along the lines of 50 amp coaches burning out their 30 amp outlets, etc.

I would link to a website for one such park where I knew it was listed on the web site, but when I googled it, they appear to be permanently closed as of sometime in 2020.
only been forced into a site once. I was in the "transient" section and had to stay in the area to help sick inlaws. I had to move to the "long term section of the park, any stay 1 month or longer, ended up about 18 months. Never been mandated into a site due to what amp service my 5W used.

There are many myths in the world of camping
One park manager said the reason the breakers on my site needed replacement was because all those people like me with 50 amp rigs pull too much power through the 30 amp breakers.

one as most everyone reading this should knwo: NOT POSSIBLE

Two. it was the 50 amp breakers that were bad on my 50 amp site.

I've replaced a lot of breakers in my time and a fair amount of them were worn out because they were being used as ON/OFF switches. I know they look really similar but breakers have a lot more moving parts inside and weren't really built to be switched on and off thousands of times. Nothing wrong with using them this way but it shouldn't be surprising that they wear out after a few years.

I bought Camco 30 amp extension cord because of a suggestion of a friend. This helps reach it perfectly. Will come in handy when we go to a campground that our standard cord won’t reach. Each end has a built-in handle making it tremendously easy to insert and remove the plugs. Despite being so heavy-duty, the cord is flexible enough that it can be coiled and stored with relative ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've replaced a lot of breakers in my time and a fair amount of them were worn out because they were being used as ON/OFF switches. I know they look really similar but breakers have a lot more moving parts inside and weren't really built to be switched on and off thousands of times. Nothing wrong with using them this way but it shouldn't be surprising that they wear out after a few years.
There are switch rated breakers, but they cost more than standard breakers so we don't see them very often.

There are switch rated breakers, but they cost more than standard breakers so we don't see them very often.

Virtually all single pole 20 and 30 amp breakers are switching duty rated, even the ones you buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes they are marked SWD sometimes you have to look in the manufacturers specs to find the info.

I agree with Jay however, that they are a lot more complex mechanisms and do not take well to constant on/off cycling, but how often are they actually cycled? two or three times a week?

Charles

Virtually all single pole 20 and 30 amp breakers are switching duty rated, even the ones you buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Sometimes they are marked SWD sometimes you have to look in the manufacturers specs to find the info.

I agree with Jay however, that they are a lot more complex mechanisms and do not take well to constant on/off cycling, but how often are they actually cycled? two or three times a week?

Charles
SWD ratings are restricted to 20 amp breakers or less. HID rated breakers are needed for higher current switching.

I can see RVers towing with an EV may want to upgrade to a 50 amp site. Set the car to the 20 amp 240 setting so the total current is not too high. At least for the SUV crowd that’s pretty much a full charge overnight. Maybe set a reasonable surcharge on top of the 50 amp site cost so there is a good revenue for the owner.

Would there be a balance issue between L1 and L2 in that sceenario? Don’t know.

I switch off the pedestal power before plugging in my EMS protected trailer. When I switch on, the only load is the EMS.
It is not the "Switch on" that kills the switch/breaker for there is no inductive "kick" at that point. the contact welder is the switch OFF..

Think of the law of inertia objects (electrons in this case) at rest tend to remain at rest unless force is applied (the switch on they are are at rest)

But in motion they want to keep flowing so they "jump" the gap as the switch starts to open.

This is also why you hear pipes clatter (Watter hammer) when you turn OFF a faucet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom