360 birds eye view cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Stephens

I have seen systems that use four cameras, one on each side and front and back of your coach to give you a bird's eye 3-D extrapolation of what is around your coach while you are driving or parking in addition to the actual camera views. The first one of these that I saw advertised a price of $1,800 installed. Since then, I have seen systems on Amazon and e-Bay selling for $198 to $598 that you would have to install yourself and some as high as $2,200. I'm wondering if this is a matter of "getting what you pay for" or if the cheaper systems are just as good as the higher priced ones. I'm also wondering how difficult it would be to install a system like this yourself, or if it would be worth the price to have someone familiar with what it will take to do it for you.

Has anyone on this forum used one of these systems? Can anyone answer the question of which ones to buy or stay away from and whether or not the cheaper ones are just as good? Will it be better to have it installed, or would you do it yourself?

I'm not overly concerned about having something like this being used for driving since I already have a rear camera that I keep on the entire time I'm towing so I can see my car and make sure it's still back there. But a system like this might come in handy when trying to back in to a tight spot. I've already had too many accidents with the right rear corner and don't want anymore.

I would just look for one with a lifetime warranty and make a junction box at the mounting locations so if one of the cameras fails, you can easily replace it.

I suspect this is a case of newer designs are better and cheaper, though you probably still somewhat get what you pay for. Unfortunatley the designs on the more expensive ones tend to get updated less often, so you may be comparing a 6 year old $1,800 design with a 3 month old $500 design. (think smart phones a 6 year old top of the line smart phone is now nearly a paperweight)

Back
Top Bottom