4 Wheel down towing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdrich

I am confused about what I have seen on the internet. I hope someone? can straighten out the facts for me. My problem is I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE with less then 40,000 miles on it. It's a great car hauls five people and gets 38 to 41 mpg on the highway. According to my owners manual it says I can't tow 4 wheels down.? Although I happen to see on Remco site, if I read and understood it correctly that I could tow it with their equipment. I don't know what equipment I would need. I am a Newbie to all of this, i would rather take the money I could save and use it instead and to put it towards a better RV. Besides the car is like new, seems such a waste to get rid of it. I still have a four a year warranty on it. Yes I got a good deal when I brought it. Can someone explain if this possible by viewing their site and interpret the information. Also I like to know what others think of this company. This is our first motorhome purchase. I've been a fiver for years. So this is a new game for us and your dealing with a big dummy here. Thanks for the help in advance...

bdrich said:
I am confused about what I have seen on the internet. I hope someone  can straighten out the facts for me. My problem is I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE with less then 40,000 miles on it. It's a great car hauls five people and gets 38 to 41 mpg on the highway. According to my owners manual it says I can't tow 4 wheels down.  Although I happen to see on Remco site, if I read and understood it correctly that I could tow it with their equipment. I don't know what equipment I would need. I am a Newbie to all of this, i would rather take the money I could save and use it instead and to put it towards a better RV. Besides the car is like new, seems such a waste to get rid of it. I still have a four a year warranty on it. Yes I got a good deal when I brought it. Can someone explain if this possible by viewing their site and interpret the information. Also I like to know what others think of this company. This is our first motorhome purchase. I've been a fiver for years. So this is a new game for us and your dealing with a big dummy here. Thanks for the help in advance...

Remco is the best there is. I've never heard of them trying to sell you something you didn't need. Give them a call and I'm sure they can tell you exactly what you need to tow your Corolla and the cost. If they say it can't be towed, then it can't be towed. They are a first rate company.

The owner's manual is correct for the UNMODIFIED vehicle.. Remco's site will tell you if it can be modified and give at least one option/suggestion as to how to modify it.. Personally I took option 2 on the mod list

Basically Remco offers two solutions (actually 3) the first is a lub pump, they usually suggest this option, The lub pump keeps the fluid flowing in the transmission and thus prevents burnout when towed. 

My problem with the lub pump is I've herd of them failing.. And thus causing transmission failure.

Options 2 and 3 depend on the vehicle,  For FWD's is called and Axel Lock, for RWD's a Drive Shaft Disconnect, in either case it's much the same thing, In the "Normal" or "Car" or "Locked" mode your vheicle works just like normal, Get in, buckle up, crank her up, check your mirrors and the like and drive.

Inthe "Trailer" or Unlocked mode,  The wheels are disconnected from the transmission,  So you tow with the tranny in PARK of all gears.  The car is now a 4 wheel trailer, there is no longer a connection from the transmission to the wheels so it can not be driven.

Of course changing back and forth between modes is either a push/pull lever or button (I don't know which) or a twist of a collar (I have a FWD) 1/3 turn... That's all,  The Drive shaft disconnect seems to be a spline clutch, the axel lock uses technology I first saw used on Jeeps when I wore a much younger man's cloths, Both are very much tried and true and have a mean time between failure that ..... Well let me put it this way, the car won't last that long

Thank you for all the information, I guess I will bite the bullet and most likely get another vehicle to use as a toad. Just hate to give up the 40 mpg and a like new vehicle. I thought about a dolly, I just don't care for the ideal of trying to store it and also placing it at a campground. Just seems to me it would be such a hassle. Then there is the problem of disposing of it when I did get a toad which I can tow 4 wheels down. Thanks for the information. I have learned a lot from this forum, I always knew that campers are some of the friendliest people around. This forum just shows how true that fact is.

Again, I will tell you that before you go out and buy a new car to tow,, ,Visit REMCO towing and see if they have a product that will allow you to tow 4 down.. They know their business.

As for a dolly (2-wheel type) these are fairly light, using a simple device sold at Pep Boys for a reasonable price you can generally move them by hand... Simply park the dolly under the RV if you have the ground clearence (Mine does, but I still tow 4 down)  As for getting rid of it when you get a new towed... E-bay works, so do local want-ads

(Wanted, buyer for ...)

However have you visited REMCO yet?

Just my 2-cents (or less) worth: If you haven't called Remco yet as both Don and John have suggested, it almost seems like you're looking for a reason to replace
I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla LE with less then 40,000 miles on it. It's a great car hauls five people and gets 38 to 41 mpg on the highway.
without giving it a chance. You said that you've visited their site but don't know which parts you need. Well, they do! Give them a call and they'll tell you. If it can't be towed 4-down, they'll tell you. If you are intent on getting a different car, call them first so you'll know if the car you're thinking of purchasing can be towed. That's what the rest of us do.

I gave Remco a call this morning and spoke to a Don. He was polite and very helpful, I gave him the specs for the vehicle that he requested. Unfortunately he told me that it can not be told with 4 wheels down, and suggested a tow dolly. I was very impressed with the professional manner. He wasn't pushy and answered all my questions. To tow or trade is the question, I will make a choice in the near future.? ?A Happy New Year to All!!!

Bdrich,

Now that you have the straight scoop, let me say that most folks agree that a tow dolly is a P.I.T.A. You're always towing extra weight that takes away from your GCWR by a few hundred pounds (not a trivial thing), loading/unloading the toad from the dolly takes considerable time and extra work especially  for short side-trips, and you need to find a place to stow it when not in use. While your Corolla may be a great car, its' intended use has changed and maybe it isn't quite up to the new task. Personally, I'd never have a toad that couldn't keep all its' feet on the ground, and there are plenty to choose from that will.  Of course, depending on your personal RV'ing habits, it may be entirely adequate - like if your travels are infrequent, you don't make many sight-seeing stops along the way, and you don't carry much food, water and personal items with you. Only you can determine which is best for you.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go! :)

bdrich said:
I gave Remco a call this morning and spoke to a Don. He was polite and very helpful, I gave him the specs for the vehicle that he requested. Unfortunately he told me that it can not be told with 4 wheels down, and suggested a tow dolly. I was very impressed with the professional manner. He wasn't pushy and answered all my questions. To tow or trade is the question, I will make a choice in the near future.? ?A Happy New Year to All!!!

I would strongly recommend trading for a vehicle that can be towed 4 down.  Like Karl stated a trailer or tow dolly is just too much hassle,  We did the tow dolly thing for a very shot time and NEVER again.

Back
Top Bottom