40 foot Gulf Stream Tour master

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Dugard

I'm a newbie bought 30 Hurricane last year to try the life style loved it!
This fall bought 40 ft. Gulf Stream diesel pusher.
Just started to read posts on weight on rear axles of Gulf Streams should I be worried?
Great site just feeling my way around.

Bobnjude

You don't have to weigh each wheel of the dual pair separately - weigh them as a pair. It's called "corner weight" - weigh each "corner" of the coach as a unit.

If you can't find a scale that can do corner weights, you can approximate it by getting separate front and rear axle weights. To estimate tire corner weights, divide by two (four on the rear duals) and then add 5% to allow for the possible (or should I say the "likely") imbalance from side-to-side on the axle. Compare the axle weights to the Axle GAWRs for front and rear axles - they will be shown on the federal weight label (usually on wall by driver seat). Compare the corner weights to the tire maximum load rating shown on the sidewall. Remember that the rear duals will have a different, lower, rating when operating as a dual pair , so use the "dual" load capacity.

Thanks I think.
I have read alot about too much weight on rear axle dry weight and causing damage.
Starting thinking I made mistake. I'm just waiting for it to be safetied and its mine a little worried.

BobnJude

Hi Ernie

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
It's a 1999  40 foot Gulf Stream Tourmaster
My wife and I love it test drove great had a little pull to the left but ran great.
Have read some reports about owners having issues with weight on rear axle.
Should I be worried?

BobnJude

There are a number of 40 ft diesels out there there exceed 20,000 on the rear axle when loaded for travel, particularly with rear slides. I had a 2000 40ft Monaco Windsor with only a front slide and the rear weighed in at 19,700 when loaded fro travel. Monaco rated the rear axle at 20K, but it actually was a 21K axle.

Some coach manufacturers used a 23k (or 21K) rear axles even though until just last year the Federal legal limit was 20k on any one axle (less in tandem). Some manufacturers used the 23K (or 21k) axle but still used the 20k for their rating sheet.

But before you worry, get it weighed. Preferably all four corners, but if not available at least go to a Truckstop (or gravel yard or other places with truck scales) and get the front and back axle weights. For setting tire pressures do what Gary suggested and assume you have a 5% imbalance left/right. Use the pressure for the higher weight on both sides. Some of us add an extra 5lbs to what the tire charts list for our weight.

If you are over by only a small amount, then review how your coach is loaded and see if you can move heavy items forward.

If you're over by at lot and can't move or eliminate weight, then I would call Gulfstream or the chassis manufacturer and see what the actual rating is for the rear axle on your coach. It may be more than 20K. Also ask them if any other components of the rear suspension limit you to 20K.

Let us know

Bob, how many miles on her?
If she has some good miles- and is 13 years old- You should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom