5.7 V8 Tundra enough for 5000 lb trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandyman

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2013
Posts
16
Hi,

Before joining this forum, I would have though that the answer to this was YES. But I've read a couple threads that mention low towing speeds and big problems on grades, and so now I'm wondering. What will my towing experience be like?

The trailer I've got my eye on is 5000 lbs dry. So figure on adding the basic necessities to this to get total weight. Two adults and two kids in the truck - total human weight should be about 380 lbs.

- Andy
 
If you have the tow package your Tundra will easily tow that trailer.

Before I decided I wanted a 5th/W I had a 2011 Tundra 4x4 and pulled a trailer that weighed just under 8000 lbs loaded going down the road. I pulled this trailer for over 4K miles and the Tundra pulled it without a whimper.

The Tundra is a great tow vehicle as long as you stay within its tow limits. It is carrying a load that the Tundra and most any ? ton truck starts showing their weakness.
 
The new Tundra with the iForce 5.7 V8 is rated to tow over 10K lbs.  If your trailer is 5K dry, it's probably no more than 7K loaded.  Add in your passengers, fuel, etc, and you should still come in well under 8K.  You might pull slowly on steep grades, but the Tundra will get the job done safely.  On flat land, you will have no issues whatsoever. 

You're cleared for takeoff.  :)
 
Frizlefrak said:
You might pull slowly on steep grades, but the Tundra will get the job done safely.   
You won't be pulling slowly on the steep grades. The Tundra has enough power to accelerate up a 6% grade, towing an 8K lb trailer, with ease. It has more power than the early diesels that were put out in 2000-2001. The new generation gas motors are really good. The Tundra 5.7 is rated at 387 hp and 401 lb ft of torque in the stock form and if that isn?t enough you can get a factory super charger installed for about $5K.
 
warsw said:
You won't be pulling slowly on the steep grades. The Tundra has enough power to accelerate up a 6% grade, towing an 8K lb trailer, with ease. It has more power than the early diesels that were put out in 2000-2001. The new generation gas motors are really good. The Tundra 5.7 is rated at 387 hp and 401 lb ft of torque in the stock form and if that isn?t enough you can get a factory super charger installed for about $5K.

That's pretty impressive.  I wonder if Toyota has any plans to introduce a 3/4 ton truck? 
 
Frizlefrak said:
That's pretty impressive.  I wonder if Toyota has any plans to introduce a 3/4 ton truck?
Everyone is waiting. Toyota even has a diesel that could be used. I just don't think Toyota is ready to try to compete with the "Big Three" in the heavy haulers yet.
 
I have the 2012 tundra 5.7 with 10000lb tow package. Tows all my trailers easily. I have a variety of landscape ,enclosed ect  that weigh in the rangeof 7-8000 lbs. no problems, lots of power. Brake controller might be a good idea if you dont have one.
 
I tow a 7,000 Sunline 2499  with a 2001 Toyota Tundra. Only issue I have had is the wheel bearings failing at 85,000 miles.  The truck has plenty of power even at 110,000 miles to handel most towing situations. My truck is rated at about 6800 pounds  and I try to travel as light as possible.  But even so I have towed thru the Smokeys and into the Black Hills and have had no problem with power and keep in mind that is with the small V8.

Your Tundra will do a great job.

Sunliner
 
Jandyman- I have a 6,200lb trailer that I pull with my 2013 Tundra (with the tow package) and I have absolutely no problems towing. You would be well within the capabilities of the Tundra to pull your trailer. If however you are thinking about trading up to a bigger trailer at some point in the future, I would then probably look at 3/4 ton diesel trucks.
 
Back
Top Bottom