50 amp plug with exta pigtail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowboy49

Does any one make a 50 amp pigtail with an extra 20 amp pigtail coming out of the plug?  Want to be able to use extension cord for outdoor needs withoug plugging into the 110 receptacle on the trailer.  We use a park quite a bit that has only the 50 amp receptacle in the box.

cowboy49 said:
Does any one make a 50 amp pigtail with an extra 20 amp pigtail coming out of the plug?? Want to be able to use extension cord for outdoor needs withoug plugging into the 110 receptacle on the trailer.? We use a park quite a bit that has only the 50 amp receptacle in the box.

You can buy a 50/20 amp amp dogbone that goes on end of a 50 amp extension cord. I used this arrangement  when I was a rally master and needed a lot of extra outlets for cookers, etc. 

Does the "dogbone" allow for both the 50 amp tralier AND the 20 amp receptacle to be hot at the same time?  who makes/has the "dogbone"?

Far as I know, no, I've never seen one.

Most parks have a rule "One electric hook up per customer) however.. Most of them won't complain about a 20 amp cord to a cooker or light.  I will complain to security if you use a dual-30 using two poles and thus cost another customer his plug in.

But so long as you are only plugged into ONE pole (I'm assuming one pole per campsite here) and only using the outlets assigned to your one site.  I have no complaint.

Most parks the box as 20/30 outlets or 20/30/50

You may need a 30/15 adapter for the 30 amp outlet if whatever you plug in tripps GFCI's

cowboy49 said:
Does the "dogbone" allow for both the 50 amp tralier AND the 20 amp receptacle to be hot at the same time?? who makes/has the "dogbone"?

NO - in essence it repalces he 50 amp outlet with a 20 amp You can get them as a plug also. I mentioned the dogbone because you were talking about an extension cord.

You can usually find the adapter plug, but not a 50 amp with the extra 20 additional.  The reason is that you now have the potential for a 70 amp draw on their 50 amp line, which could be problematic in terms of their circuit breaker tripping on the line feeding the boxes.  That's not to say that you couldn't make up your own box, but it could invite problems if you max out your demand, say on a day when the AC is running and you decide to plug in an electric grill into the 20 amp plug.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom