50 amp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salem

Hope I'm in the correct forum. New member here. We now have a 50 amp rv. Had a 30 amp for years. When I wanted to charge the batteries I would use an adapter and plug into the house. I've been reading a lot about how to plug a 50 amp into the house by using a 30 amp adapter and then a 15 amp adapter. I also have a Surge Guard 50 amp 44270. It's only showing two lights across the top instead of three. It doesn't show that I'm getting 50 amps. Can I assume that's because I'm plugged into the house and not into 50 amp pedestal? Is it safe to plug Into trailer to charge batteries? Sorry for the long post but I'm new at 50 amps.

Yes you will be fine. Start with the 15 to 30 adapter then 30 to 50 adapter then plug in your rv cord. The only thing is you’ll be limited how much you can power up. No problem charging batteries and a couple of lights and maybe one AC. You’ll no right away if you are drawing too much. You’ll trip the house breaker. Try to plug into a house circuit that not being used.

I agree you are good but I'd upgrade that Surge Guard to a 34951 or equivalent
The link is from a Google search Not recommending for or against the dealer.
I got mine at Camping world when it was on sale.

There are a few competing products as well Hughes and Progressive Dynamics

These are way better than the model you have. they protect against LOW voltage, HIGH voltage, Sipke supression and a few other issues.. Yours is spike suppression and you need to understand the lights for one or two other issues. THe 34951 spells it out.

It's only showing two lights across the top instead of three. It doesn't show that I'm getting 50 amps. Can I assume that's because I'm plugged into the house and not into 50 amp pedestal?
Yes, that's why. And while I'm not specifically knowledgeable about your Surge Guard 50 amp 44270, John makes excellent points. With units similar to what John recommends I had several occasions over the years where damage to the coach was averted from bad shore power.

BTW, if you put what RV you have in your signature, it can save you and us some future hassle and aid others in helping you with many questions.

50 amp RV service has two 120 volt circuits with 240 volts across the two hot wires. When you plug into 30 amps there's only one 120 volt hot wire and both of the 50 amp RV circuits are connected to it. That's how the surge protector tells whether you are connected to a true 50 amp feed or something smaller. Power management systems that limit the loads you can run when connected to smaller feeds work the same way, by looking at the voltage between the two hot wires to see if you're connected to a true 50 amp feed.

That hookup should be fine, though limited to 15A instead of 50A. However, I think there may still be something odd happening because the Surgeguard didn't light all three of the top indicators, suggesting that one of the 3 wires in a 50A system isn't functioning. The lights below the top three show more detail - what did they indicate?

See the Surgeguard 44270 manual for more info. And this video.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer. You've put my mind at ease. I will be looking at 50-15 adapters to make the hookup simpler. P.S. How do I put my trailer in my signature as Larry N suggested?
That hookup should be fine, though limited to 15A instead of 50A. However, I think there may still be something odd happening because the Surgeguard didn't light all three of the top indicators, suggesting that one of the 3 wires in a 50A system isn't functioning. The lights below the top three show more detail - what did they indicate?

See the Surgeguard 44270 manual for more info. And this video.
Gary, the lights below were not lit up.

When you plug into 30 amps there's only one 120 volt hot wire and both of the 50 amp RV circuits are connected to it. That's how the surge protector tells whether you are connected to a true 50 amp feed or something smaller.
Pretty much what I was about to say. :)
However, I think there may still be something odd happening because the Surgeguard didn't light all three of the top indicators, suggesting that one of the 3 wires in a 50A system isn't functioning.

Gary, note what Lou said in post #7. He is correct as there has to be a polarity difference between L1 and L2 to get all 3 lights. Using a 30a line he does not have 50a service and that is what his light configuration is telling him.

@ Salem , I think in your main profile area you can put all your info along with pictures, pretty new myself so maybe that's an idea for everything.

Gary, note what Lou said in post #7. He is correct as there has to be a polarity difference between L1 and L2 to get all 3 lights. Using a 30a line he does not have 50a service and that is what his light configuration is telling him.
I understand that completely but I don't think the top lights on the 44270 depend on polarity. Note that the Southwire video very explicitly says "Do not plug in if all three top row lights are not on".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afshan
Back
Top Bottom