50 amp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

Hey Y'all...

I'm starting to feel bad  I'm back again (granted not bad enough to create a new id...lol), with another question.

We have just bougt a 2002 K&Z

I didn't mean to post that last night...  I think I had one scotch too many at that point :p

The question is this, I read the manual that came with the RV and it talks about 30 amp and 50 amp connections. It describes the 50 amp as "two separate banks of 120-volt AC power on the positive position." I have a 4 prong 50 amp connection.

Can I hook up to 30 amp power? OR does it have to be 50? I ask because the first place we plan to go has about 27 50amp and 7330amp. So I'm wondering if I need to bring a generator along in case we can't get 50.  If I can hook up to 30 amps, do I need a different cable than what I currently have?

This may be a dumb question, but I'd hate to start frying stuff my first time out.

Thanks
Eddie

You can most certainly use your RV with a 30A outlet, but you will need an adapter to allow you to plug in.  It's commonly called a "dogbone" due to its shape, a 30A male plug on one end, a short cable, and a 50A female on the other.  You will be limited to 30A total load while connected this way vs. 2x50A load when connected to a 50A socket.  If there's little or now difference in price, go for the 50A and you won't have to do any power management.  With 30A you will have to watch what you turn on at the same time to limit your load to 30A maximum.

Eddie,

Unless you have some 220 volt appliances in your rig (doubtful), you can purchase a 'dogbone' which converts your 50 amp plug to a 30 amp plug for use in 30 amp outlets. No harm, no foul. A 50 amp rig has one 110 volt leg of the 220 volt power from the pole connected to one-half of the breaker panel; the other 110 volt leg powers the other half. The dogbone parallels the two halves of the panel so everything will work off the same 110 volt leg.

Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate y'alls feedback.

Don't know how y'all don't get tired of the people (myself certainly being one) that don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to this stuff!!!

elm_tx said:
Don't know how y'all don't get tired of the people (myself certainly being one) that don't know....

For some it's a labor of love, kinda like a hobby, and for others it's a way of paying back for everything we learned here when we were rookies. For me it's both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom