50 cord repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Rick

Has anyone attempted to repair one if the 4 wires in your 50 amp cord.
I accidentally cut the black wire, other 3 are fine.

Where is the break?  If it's near the plug, cut the cord back and install a new plug.

If it's in the middle, you won't get a clean repair.  The problem is you need some slack to repair the broken wire, then you need to completely waterproof the splice.

If it's in the middle, just cut it and install a male plug on one and a female plug on the other half.  Then you'll have 2 short extension cords.

The cut is in the middle of the cord, of course, I like the suggestion of putting a male and female in.
Thanks....

Lou Schneider said:
then you need to completely waterproof the splice.

Sorry for the dump question, but how do you make it waterproof?  I repaired the female end of a 30 amp cord but didn't do anything to make it waterproof.  Thought about it but then forgot about it.  Only saving grace is it connects to the motorhome in a hopefully dry bay. 

garyb1st said:
Sorry for the dump question, but how do you make it waterproof?  I repaired the female end of a 30 amp cord but didn't do anything to make it waterproof.  Thought about it but then forgot about it.  Only saving grace is it connects to the motorhome in a hopefully dry bay.

He was talking about making a inline repair then waterproofing the repair. Not waterproofing a plug.

Well, waterproofing an inline repair with a female and male adapters is an issue not sure that will work.

Marinco connectors, thoug expensive, are water resistant. (this is the outlet end of the cord and the inlet on your rv)

It is possible to splice the cut lead.. How I'd do it is to slid some fire proof insulatin material and a metal sheet between the cut wire and the rest. Then using some additional wire and solder and a torch solder the leads.. NOTE you cut back the outer jacket "A ways" on this.    Then tape the repair up good (just that one wire) then tape from at least 1 inch (2 would be better) beyond the trim line on one side to the same distance on the other side with a couple layers of Rescue Tape (Self-Fusing Silicon)

But frankly that's very involved.  OR you could use crimp on splces but you need a good heavy duty (Visit a welding shop) crimper to crimp that kind of connection.  Hydraulic job. Or a big hammer type. NOt something I have on hand .That would be the best splice.. And again Rescue tape to seal everything. 

The male and female plugs should be reasonably water resistant.  I would not lay it in a puddle, but it should withstand rain or dew or snow.  You can always put the connection in a plastic bag.

Cutting the cord and installing a standard RV 50 amp male and female plug/socket set will make a setup that's no different than using an extension cord with the original setup, just shorter lengths. Rain is not an issue as said, as long as you keep the connection raised out of a puddle. Waterproofing is not required.

Another advantage of simply cutting and installing a plug and socket is shorter the cord the easier to wrangle.

I have a box.  a Plastic tool box.. I notched the ends so if the box is empty (it's not but I can empty it) then I can lay the plug and socket in it and it keeps it off the ground and out of the water.. Also a block or milk crate could be placed under it.. to keep the plug/socket off the ground.. Rain falling on it won't bother it much only lying in water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom