50amp outlets? Is it the same as a 220 outlet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xomkid

I've never been able to understand the outlet for my 50amp plug. Is it wired just like a 220volt outlet then split in the electrical box in the RV?

THe short answer is both yes and no.

50 amp outlets come in several different arraingments.. But this is a 4 wire 50 amp 240 volt with neutral and ground.

I know lots of folks who keep hammering false information,, Information that can in fact cause a fire.. But the above line is accurate.

It is also important that the NEUTRAL wire be the same size as the hot wires.

You may now stop reading, In fact to avoid confusion you likely should.

You can also get 50 am outlets that have no safety ground, or no neutral. or on which the neutral is smaller than the hots.

These are 3 wire outlets and will deep fry your electronics.

Some people talk about how everythign in the RV uses only 120 volt (Usually true).

Well most of the stuff in your Sticks and Bricks uses 120 (Unless you are British living in England or some other local like that) TV, Washing machine, Fans, Lights, Radios, all 120.. YET the power to your house is IDENTICAL to what a 50 amp RV wants save for a much larger breaker... (My house was 150 amps)

The "Magic" needed to make it all work is in your main breaker box.

John From Detroit said:
THe short answer is both yes and no.

50 amp outlets come in several different arraingments.. But this is a 4 wire 50 amp 240 volt with neutral and ground.

I know lots of folks who keep hammering false information,, Information that can in fact cause a fire.. But the above line is accurate.

It is also important that the NEUTRAL wire be the same size as the hot wires.

You may now stop reading, In fact to avoid confusion you likely should.

So if I have a 220 volt outlet for a welder, I could use this as a 50amp RV outlet?

Edit: Fixed quote.

So if I have a 220 volt outlet for a welder, I could use this as a 50amp RV outlet?

Depends on the outlet. Often a welder outlet won't have a neutral cause it is strictly a 220v device. If it has 4 prongs/slots and is wired with a neutral and ground as well as two hots, then probably yes.

An rv 50 amp outlet. Is the same as a oven/stove  4 prong outlet.  Same wireing to your home electrical panel. You can get one at any home center like bloewes or home cheepo.

xomkid said:

Edit: Fixed quote.

Most likely NO, since a welder outlet is normally 3 wire and you need a 4 wire.  As Gary and I both said, there are 240 volt outlets and there are 240 volt outlets.. A welder uses the wrong kind.. For many years cloths dryers used the wrong kind.

You need one with FOUR wires, 3 flat blades and one Round, or "U" shaped (Safety ground)

As suggested, Get the proper outlet and have it put in by a pro.. With 50 amp and the proper outlet (Matching the plug on the Motor home) they usually get it right.

30 amp outlets, far too often, they get wrong.  Which is why I tell folks to put in a 50.

Well....I just happen to be a retired electrician.  So here's my input.  A standard 50A RV service is 240/120 with ground.  If you need 240 (no such thing as 220 in America anymore) you use the two "hot" legs.  If you need 120, you use either "hot" leg and a neutral.  You normally use ground for either voltage.  In your RV breaker panel if you see a double pole breaker, that's 240V.  A single pole is 120V off of one or the other "hot" leg.  Loads are usually evenly connected between "hot" legs so that load is balanced.  Most RV's are not wired for any 240V loads.  Maybe a dryer would be.  To run a 240V load, such as a welder, you would likely have to add a two pole breaker and the wiring to accommodate the welder.  You'd have to check the nameplate to see if you also need a neutral for lights or some other 120V load.  Confused?  Ask an electrician.  Then you'll REALLY be confused.  As we say in the trade..."I can build anything if you draw a picture on the back of a large enough check!"

meternerd said:
As we say in the trade..."I can build anything if you draw a picture on the back of a large enough check!"

LOVE IT.. And that's so true.

By the way about the only difference between your post and mine when describing the otlet is I say 120/240 and you said 240/120

Many people, myself included, remember when 110/220 was the standard voltage.. Since I adore vintage radio gear I have to be aware that it changed,, That way if I ever get my hands on the old stuff I know what needs to be done to prevent damage.. . won't bore you with the details but Varactor's are kind of poplur with the old time radio crowd (Folks a Varactor is a true autotransformer (Different from an auto-former like the Hughes) and it has variable output).

Which reminds me of a catalong I was told about last night that contains, among other things, A good price on one of those.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Why not buy the right outlet and have it wired by a qualified electrician?
Bill

I wouldn't wire one at all. I would hire an electrician. I just hear in conversation men disscusing 50amp and wanted to clear my mind

Just don't tell the electrician you want a welder outlet, cause he will almost surely install the wrong thing for an RV.

The RV 50A outlet is most like a 240v electric stove outlet.

Yes, as long as it is a NEMA 14-50R. A few older homes and stoves may have used a different outlet type, but if you ask an electrician today to install a electric stove outlet, a 14-50R is what you will get and it is the same as is used for a 50A RV outlet.

The way to be sure you get the right thing for the RV is to specify a "NEMA 14-50R outlet and wiring"

Yep, 14-50R is the receptacle shown in the article linked in my original response.

Back
Top Bottom