5TH Wheel Heights (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hello all:

Looking at USED "5th wheel trailers" and came across a "Jayco Eagle" for one, that seem to have a LOW hook up jack arrangement.

What I mean is... when I positioned my Dodge 2004 Ram 1500 4WD Pick up close to front end of trailer, it appeared the Side walls of truck would prevent the trailer from sitting LEVEL during the towing operation.
Now I have a "Cap" on truck presently and no "5th wheel Receiver" mounted in truck. But just "eye balling" has suggested to me that all "5th wheel trailers" are not the same (jack or coupler height).

May I have some feed back?

Thanking you,
Jim O

First thing I would recommend is to verify you will not be exceeding weight limits by towing the 5ver.  The Dodge 1500 is a pretty light duty truck to be hooking up many of the fifth wheels available.  Get the weight limits posted on the truck GVWR, GCVWR as well as the GVWR for the trailer to determine if the trailer you are looking at is suitable for towing with your truck.

As for the hitch I will let the folks more familiar with 5vers reply to that.

Are you sure you were looking at an Jayco Eagle?  From looking at the 2007 Jayco Eagle specifications online, I believe even the smallest Eagle would be above your truck's weight rating. 

I haven't heard of folks having trouble with side rail height on the Dodges, but 4x4 are often "taller" than 4x2 and so this is occasionally a problem (but mostly on Fords, though).

With the weight of the trailer kingpin on the truck, the back end will settle down, so an eyeball comparison to an unloaded truck may not be valid.  It's worth investigating, though, cause you don't want to end up with a rig that cannot be leveled for trailering. If the Dodge is too tall, this can sometimes be compensated by "flipping" the axles on the trailer, which means changing the axles to ride under the springs rather than on top of them, thus raising the trailer height by about 2 inches. The dealer should be familiar with the process.

The others are correct: the "small" Eagle (28'11") has a GVWR of 8180 lbs and is too heavy for your 1500.

Wow??! Here it is almost three years later and I can not believe I did not thank you people for your responses. Thanks.
Lowell:
I could have been confused regarding Jay-co trailer.
Ron:
I have plenty of truck this time.

And things have changed (as they do)??

Today I am considering a 5Th wheel trailer again?.., this time a small 2010 or 11 Nash 21.5R 5TH wheel. One problem is I can not find any to see in person. I have chosen this model based on layout and Quality reputation, and so far, looked at pictures only. I will be crossing the country soon, (west along Rt -80 towards Rocky's), and closest dealer stocking this trailer is near Rocky's. I may just buy and switch (trade in) old trailer.

My questions concern the P/u Rail clearance and Hitch pin height as illustrated below,
(Or in attached illustration).
There could be other things I?m not aware of though?.. if hitch is placed in truck at six (6) inches above (in front of) P/U rear axle, what spacing is between truck bumper and trailer front?
The trailer manufacture (Northwood) is probably my correct source and I will contact them.
Driving the vehicle in my signature, are there other points to consider..... and are there Nash 21.5R owners out there to help?

Attachments

• Illustration of 5TH wheel.jpg
    Illustration of 5TH wheel.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 31
:) hey i will try and help here most 5th wheel will require about 6 inches of clearance between bed rail and under side of the trailer,  on my trailer (not sure about the nash)  there is adjustments that can be made to the pin box itself and also the axles can be moved also to provide more or less clearance as needed,  as far as the clearance from the bumper to leading edge of the trailer that could vary a bit but most new 5er have an extended pin box in that the pin is at or forward of the leading edge of the trailer so that will help your clearance with the truck on my truck there is plenty of room between the truck and trailer,  i also towed mine home when i bought it with a twin screw mack tractor (i didn't even know that thing was back there)  i am not sure how tall your truck is, so for me to say you wont have a problem is difficult to say,  there are to many variables.  i am not sure were the six inches forward of the axle number came from but most 5er hitches are installed just slightly forward of the axle or directly above,  also it appears you have a short bed just make sure you have the swing clearance needed to make a hard turn ( i would be more concerned about that) double check your weights make sure you will be OK.  i hope this helps

Skip96:

Thank you......... all inputs are helpful.

I have measured the dimension from ground to top of my p/u's bed side wall at bumper and it is 57" high. I need a difference of 5 to 7 inches between this 57" and bottom of trailer as it sits over my truck. I hope I'm describing this correctly. Anyway, talking to Northwood (Nash manufacturer)  I felt the man hedged a bit, not willing to give the dimensions I show in illustration...., suggesting the dealer will make it work one way or another. In truth, until I see product, I will not know. He mentioned "flipping" axles (I have known about) but I'm not willing to do that.... the appearance of rig is important to me.
You would think that someone (at factory) could tell me these dimensions as trailer comes off line. The literature does not even address these dimensions (according to Northwood rep), and that is mystifying.

I would A call back and insist on talking to someone in Engineering to get the dimension or B failing that look for a different manufacturer as it is an omen that things aren't going to go to well if other problems come up after purchase and you need good support.

The difficulty in quoting those dimensions from the factory is that it depends on both the hitch and the truck. One could make an assumption about the hitch height required to make the trailer sit perfectly level (seldom completely true, though).  Rail rail clearance, though, is determined more by the design of the box on the truck than anything the trailer manufacturer can do.

Flipping the axles does not alter the appearance much at all. The trailer merely sits 3-4 inches higher off the ground.

Thanks Gary and Blueblood:

My efforts have been all about getting some "heads up" type thinking and preparing. All the inputs I've gotton confirm that "in person" look see will be necessary.
Sure hoping there are some "forum" members with this trailer, then I know my questions can be resolved in future.
Thanks to all....

Hey there
I also have a problem with 5ver not trailering level going down the road.  I have a 2003 Travel supreme 34' and i tow it with a 2009 Chevy Dually 4x4, and i would love to hear from others on what they did to get the trailer level other than flipping the axles as it is a triple axle...I would rather have the work done to the truck and leave the trailer alone...What is the purpose of raising all the trucks so high???  I notice fords and Dodges are the same way, kinda low on the front and high on the back...I have to raise my 5ver sooooo high just to get it on the truck...Any ideas?
thanks!

There may be ways to lower the truck - I know Ford used to have a kit for their  tall 4x4 to lower it a bit for trailering. You might contact a Chevy dealer and ask, but you will probably have better luck asking on a Chevy truck group or web site.
If you Google Chevy truck owners you will find some groups of Chevy gear heads who probably know all about it. Here are a couple:
http://tonboards.mminteractive.com/jiveforums/forum.jspa;jsessionid=5277BB24D3F728864D6588647A8A1A64?forumID=2&start=0

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/

Back
Top Bottom