5th Wheel Hitch Lets Loose Pin Box Crushes Tailgate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVoorhis318

Hi Folks

Mor Ryde 5th wheel hitch I've used for at least 5 years locked in as normal the way it usually does and when I tested my trailer brakes the pin came right out. I've connected to this hitch many times and I just can't figure out what went wrong. Handle popped in just like it always does, full weight of the pin on the hitch, what are your thoughts please??

Rob

Stuff happens. You're not the first or will you be the last to have a tailgate or side rails crushed.
I'll bet you buy a safety that hooks onto the 5th wheel to catch the pin box, for the next time it happens.

Richard

rls7201 said:
I'll bet you buy a safety that hooks onto the 5th wheel to catch the pin box, for the next time it happens.

Tell me about those

It might not hurt to shoot an e-mail to the tech support folks at Mor-Ryde also, see if they have any thoughts on it.  They would be the experts on it...hopefully.

At least yours was a mechanical failure.  Mine was some DA (me) backing into the kingpin with the tailgate up.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
Hi Folks

Mor Ryde 5th wheel hitch I've used for at least 5 years locked in as normal the way it usually does and when I tested my trailer brakes the pin came right out. I've connected to this hitch many times and I just can't figure out what went wrong. Handle popped in just like it always does, full weight of the pin on the hitch, what are your thoughts please??

Rob

is it possible you high pinned it? your hitch is a great hitch maybe it was a momentary lapse in judgement

Not sure why Mor Ryde was on my mind my hitch is a Pullrite Super Glide. I thought about that Steve and if I did would the lever still lock? The bed saver looks pretty cool but doesn't look like it is universal, I'll check it out though!

Thank you friends!

Rob

Should 5th wheel drivers brake hard when they first start to set the pin?  I've seen a number of dropped trailers by tractor trailer drivers who didn't set the pin.

Rob VanVoorhis said:
Not sure why Mor Ryde was on my mind my hitch is a Pullrite Super Glide. I thought about that Steve and if I did would the lever still lock? The bed saver looks pretty cool but doesn't look like it is universal, I'll check it out though!

Thank you friends!

Rob

If you high pinned it irs possible you put enough pressure on one of the springs that the jaws closed.

I know of a guy that jammed the pin so tight he drove for 5 miles before the pin worked loose and the jaws were closed he swears that was a reese hitch but it doesnt matter the brand

I made a "bed saver" several years ago. Very easy if you can cut and weld. Other than testing it I've never needed it. I bet if I took it off I would need it on my next trip out!

Don't know about a Pullrite, but on the RBW 5W hitch I had, the lever seated in the closed/locked position whenever the pin latching bar fully closed.  Whether the trailer/pin was anywhere near the hitch.  If the pin was only partially in the throat, odds were that it would prevent the latch bar from closing and the handle would show that, but if the pin was far enough back, the latch could close in front of the pin and the handle would still engage and locked.  And the front of the trailer drops as soon as you try to drive away. 

My experience with this came at a brake repair shop that did some work on my trailer brakes.  The shop owner was showing  me the parts he had to replace and told one of his guys to hook up the trailer for me.  Afterwards, I quickly "eyeballed" the hitch and latch handle to "make sure it was ok" and started to drive away. The resounding CRASH! was a lesson learned the hard way.  The side rails caught mine and I was able to make them well again with a couple hours of judicious prying with a bottle jack  and a flat iron bar.

Unfortunately Blue OX stop manufacturing them in 2013. I know you can get them still online but, the discontinuation of that particular product would raise a red flag for me. I'm still looking for other option that might be similar.

Oops! I wasn't aware that they had stopped making them, Rob. Sorry about the "red herring". I know a few people that have the Bed Saver installed, and a couple of them have been very happy they had it when it was needed. I don't know why Blue Ox discontinued them though. It might have just been a design issue with mating one to enough of the newer hitch variations to keep it viable. The concept is simple enough to duplicate though. A welding shop could probably whip one up without too much trouble.

If it helps any my insurance lady and i were talking a coiple years ago on an unrelated issue as my company that i worked for installed hitches . Her father dropped his 5 er on the box twice in 6 months and she was looking for a new hitch for him

I love the idea Dutch, a bit more peace of mind for sure brother! For the purpose of full disclosure, I called Pullrite and what I failed to mention to the forum was,  my truck was on a 10 to 15 degree downward pitch. So I guess it's just an unlucky case of the stars did not align hehe..... Another lesson learned for sure! Thanks Dutch & everyone else!!!

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom