5th Wheel Hitch Options - Above Bed Rails or Drop-in Gooseneck Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twscfltx

Does anyone have experience comparing the ride / motion control of these hitch options described by etrailer.com to an above bed rail 5W hitch? My concern is how the corners of the hitch are bolted.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-adapting-a-5th-wheel-trailer-to-gooseneck-hitch.aspx
I'm not interested in Goosebox. We will be full time, so I do not plan to take the hitch out. I would think that a cushioned 5th wheel hitch and king pin joint would control motion better than a Anderson ball joint.

What is the best hitch option for motion control and resale:
1. Above bed rails with 5th wheel hitch - corners of hitch bolted to frame
2. Gooseneck adapter 5th wheel hitch (option 2 on etrailer list) - corners of hitch not bolted just resting on top of bed.
    Example: B&W Companion Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter - Dual Jaw - 20,000 lbs
    http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Gooseneck_and_Fifth_Wheel_Adapters-sf-Adapts_Truck-pt-Gooseneck_Hitch_to_Fifth_Wheel_Trailer-pc-Connects_to_Gooseneck_Hole.aspx

Truck: 2014 RAM 3500 Crew LB DRW 2WD w/ gooseneck turnover ball
5W: TBD <36' 14000-16500 lb GVWR

Thank you,
Tyler

Also, what type hitch:
1. Double Pivot
2. Cushioned Double Pivot
3. 360 Cushion

and what type Jaw:
1. Single
2. Double

Sorry, I'm an Andersen Ultimate fan.

NOTE I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH EITHER.

All of the bucking and chucking and bouncing come from the total of all the movement in the FW - pin box - FW hitch / jaws - jaw attachment to base - base to rails - rails to bed.  In a conventional hitch, this is sometimes significant.  The air bags, cushions and shock absorbers simply dampen the motion.

The Andersen bolts tightly to the gooseneck ball and the ball to FW connection is built to very close tolerances, thus less movement.

Would you prefer the heavyweight champ hit you in the shoulder starting 2 inches away from your arm, or starting with his fist touching your arm?  The first is a hit.  The second is a shove.

grashley said:
Would you prefer the heavyweight champ hit you in the shoulder starting 2 inches away from your arm, or starting with his fist touching your arm?  The first is a hit.  The second is a shove.

Having seen a video years ago of George Foreman hitting a heavy bag and bending it enough that it was nearly folded in half, I wouldn't want either one. It makes me laugh every time I used to hear folks say " for that kind of money, I would get in the ring with (insert boxer's name).

Tyler, for our first 5th wheel my requirements were a clean bed floor, low weight, and ease of installation/removal (we are "campers" and the hitch comes out after virtually every trip). After a lot of research I went with the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum gooseneck mount hitch. I have no experience with a traditional 5th wheel hitch but I can tell you there is zero chucking or other unwanted movement in this hitch. The ball mount also allows for total and smooth articulation on uneven ground.

cpaulsen said:
Have not seen any 5th wheel itches that sit above the bed rails.
Tyler is referring to the traditional above bed (floor) rails vs. below the bed systems.

Thanks for the advice about Anderson. I'm still trying to compare standard 5W hitch with King Pin and cushion. Do your Andersons mount to above bed rails or gooseneck?

Does anyone have experience with 5W hitch adapted to gooseneck vs above bed rails?

Curt 360 cushion vs Reese Double pivot cushion vs B&W Double Pivot?

Thanks again,
Tyler

2014 RAM 3500 Crew LB DRW 2WD w/ gooseneck turnover ball
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 324RLQ - 36', 14315 lb GVWR
OR
2008 NuWa Champagne 34LKTG - 36', 16400 lb GVWR

Andersen comes as a gooseneck ball mount or a rail mount.  It also comes in aluminum or steel.  Steel is cheaper, but aluminum is half the weight.

B&W Companion is a "conventional" hitch that mounts to a gooseneck ball.  Other than the pole mount to the pin style gooseneck adapters, which are NOT RECOMMENDED, I am not aware of any other gooseneck mount hitches.

If you have a gooseneck ball in the bed, I would use it.  If you do not, then the rail mount is probably the better route.

Curt has gooseneck adapter above bed rails to conventional hitch.

Still debating ball joint (Anderson) VS cushioned conventional with gooseneck adapter above bed rails (Curt) VS convensional no cushion direct to gooseneck (B&W).

Anyone with experience with gooseneck mount conventional hitch.

I am looking for best cost option to reduce stress on the trailer.

B&W conventional hitch
VS
Curt 360 cushion
VS
Cushioned pin box (Trail Air, MorRyde, Airborne)
VS
Truck suspension Airbags
- Would truck suspension airbags reduce stress on trailer better than hitch cushion or cushioned pin box?
- Do truck suspension airbags improve non-towing ride?
- Anyone have installation costs?

Yes, any pin box will work with the Andersen.  I would suggest trying the Andersen without the air ride pin box first, and see if you need it.  You can always upgrade later.

Back
Top Bottom