5th wheel in Florida - where to register it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wende

Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to the rv world.
My husband and I live in Colorado. We want to winter in Florida. Our plan is to buy a 5th wheel in Florida, have it towed to an rv park and leave it there full-time, not towing it anywhere else.
Our question is about registering it. Is it considered a second home and doesn't need to be registered as a vehicle? Should it be registered as a vehicle even though it won't be on the highway after it is delivered to the rv park? Do we register it in Colorado? How do we get the VIN verified to register it in whatever state.
Sorry about so many questions! I hope someone can give us some direction![size=12pt]

Welcome to the RV Forum wende

Afraid I can help you with your question. Just wanted to Hello and welcome.

If you already have a specific park in mind you may want to ask them what their policy is on the subject. Some parks require current registration to ensure they don't get stuck with a derelict which can't be moved.

Definitely check with the park - many do require a current registration (tags). However, those that cater to fulltime residents are more like mobile home parks and may not care. In any case, you need to have a title issued for the trailer to make you the owner, so you need to make some decision about the legal paperwork in any case.

I'd title & register it in Florida if I could. In most cases it will be cheaper, especially if it already has a Florida title. However, I'm not sure about a Colorado resident establishing enough Florida "residency" to make that feasible. The fact that you will have a permanent address at the RV park helps, though. Especially if the park allows you to receive mail there. Those two things ago a long way toward convincing Florida that you are really there and not just passing through.  ;)

We do the same and our summer home is in NC.
We have a forty foot trailer that we bought brand new in Florida. We had it towed to our permanent site and will never tow it.
We registered it in Florida and therefor it is not taxed as a home.
If it does not have a plate on it you could possibly be taxed as a home if it is left there all year.
I am not sure if all the counties go by this. Our county is Monroe.
You can register it here in two year increments.

Jack L

I did  exactly  what you are  contemplating by buying a used, parked trailer here it Florida and moved it within my park to my property. It was  already plated so I simply continued plating it annually. The cost of the plate is minimal here in Collier county (about 36$/year currently, I renewed my plate yesterday!!). We can also plate for 2 years at a time. Not plating it and not transferring it legally is very likely going to raise the wrath of the gods if you purchase from an individual and not a business as you have to pay sales tax at that time.

I seem to remember that Title and plates are both handled through the county where you establish yourself with the title itself processed through Tallahassee, the Florida capital, by them. I can't claim Florida residency anyway, (Canadian eh?) so we contribute to the county annually as property ownwers.

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.
We talked to the rv park last night and they told us how to proceed. Colorado doesn't allow you to title or register if not a resident. I didn't realize Florida was different.
Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom