5th Wheel Lurches to the Side on Sharp Turns.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig and Linda

I have a sidewinder type hitch for my 5th wheel.
This last trip through some winding roads I noticed that when I turned on a sharp curve the trailer lurched moderately to the side.
I believe it was the sidewinder, but could be wrong.  During turns I noticed the sidewinder arm would move with the lurch.
Any ideas of what I'm dealing with?
Craig

Before each trip I check the pressure in the 4 tires and fill them to the recommended 80 psi.
What do you think?
Craig

I honestly don't know but whenever there is a handling problem with an RV it is usually tire pressure is wrong. How did you get the recommend tire pressure?  Did you weigh the rig and look on the tire manufacturers inflation guide or is it just the pressure on the side of the tire or the the yellow sticker?

First I would check and make sure the wedge is in correctly and is tight.  Is it showing any wear in either the wedge or the throat of the hitch in the truck.  Second is your fifth hitch compatible with the Sidewinder?  Some are not...some B&W aren't.  The Sidewinder hitch has to put different forces on the pin box and the fifth wheel hitch.  I contend that instead of the pin box pushing down on the fifth wheel. the Sidewinder is pulling up on the locking jaws of the fifth wheel. 

If you have a GO PRO, mount it and take the rig out and you can review what is happening.

Wi1dBill

1) I follow what it says on the side of the tires.  89psi
2)  What is the wedge??  Novice here.  I don't notice any wear at the throat or jaws of the 5th wheel.  I use lost of grease for ease of insertion.
3) Reese sidewinder and Reese 5th wheel. 
Go Pro sounds like a good idea, since it's tricky checking the hitch in the rear view mirror while maneuvering a sharp turn. :)
Thanks,
Craig

A Sidewinder hitch pivots at the rear of the pin box rather than at the 5th wheel plate.  When you hitch up the pin and the front of the hitch must be held still for it to pivot at the rear.  There is a wedge that is under the hitch behind the the pin. It fill the area of the 5th wheel plate that is tapered to allow for slight misalignment when hitching.    With a Sidewinder hitch you need to be pretty well dead straight to hook up.  Look under the hitch for the wedge. 
View the attached Y-tube video    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APKM9GHRDGU    about 3:15 minutes in they talk about the wedge and its' installation.

You didn't mention the brand of hitch in the truck.  I know that some hitches are not compatible with a Sidewinder hitch because the hitch isn't  designed for the side twisting forces that occurs. Check your bed for wear signs to see if the truck hitch is shifting.

Hope this helps.

Wi1dBi11

Back
Top Bottom