5th Wheel Roof Coating Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

I have a 2007 Denali fiver that may need the roof re-coated. I did my spring maintenance re-calked some cracks in the rood sealant and did a good inspection.There were no leaks. The roof is still white but getting a ruff texture. I have been reading about people that used Henry 887 to re-coat the roof. Has anyone used this and how has it worked? How hard is it to apply. The RV is 32 feet will one gallon do the job? Thanks in advance for your input.

I doubt you need to do anything to the roof membrain except clean it and maybe use a protectant on it.  Read up on Dicor products for the real story.

OK, thanks is the roof being ruff but still white alright? How long does a rubber roof last?

Typical its guaranteed for 12 years.  But the same stuff is laid down in commercial applications and can go 20 years easily.  Like I said, go to the Dicor web site look up their videos on roof maintenance.  You can also find youtube videos.  I never personally did any more than wash with mild soap and use one of the available treatment products.  Just be careful.  Anything with petrolium  in it will kill the roof in a hurry.

sc4668 said:
Even if the roof has a ruff texture and not smooth?

Always the first signs of roof age is the white coating coming off.  Even that is no big deal.  Dicor and several other companies sell products to "condition" or "make the roof look new"  its all snake oil.  Wash, let dry inspect and reseal seams as necessary.  If you want to pit something on it, use what the mfg of the material recomends.  And go camping

The white EDPM roofing material is designed to chalk and flake off over time, exposing fresh material to the elements.  Getting a rough texture is normal wear and tear, but if the EDPM layer has worn thin enough to let the woven backing show through, you can apply another layer of liquid EDPM to extend the roof's life.  Normally it takes 10-20 years for the roof to get to this state.  This is different than using a cleaner or brightener to improve the look of the roof, it actually adds new material to the roof's EDPM layer.

Whatever you use, make sure it is compatable with the remaining EDPM material.  I don't know if Henry's is or not.

Take a look at these products from EDPM Coatings.  They used to be a Forum sponsor but aren't currently.

https://www.epdmcoatings.com

Yes i was told the same by my MFG, do not use anything with petrolium and to cover the roof only use something that is self leveling.  Now i do use a henry product for around the vents and stuff but not the whole roof and it is a dif product.

This is what i use for around vents and stuff only,  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-90-Gal-289-Elastocaulk-Acrylic-Roof-Sealant-HE289146/100051524

It is the consistancy of marshmellow or peanut butter, you can apply it around vents and stuff with a good midsize brush.  Give yourself a few days without rain so it will get firm enough to keep the water out.    After it cures it gets hard, still slightly plyable but hard.

I did notice the reviews and questions on home depot site about 887 it does say to use 884 or 885 sealant first, and i did not see anything that said it was self leveling.  I agree that the right product will do great things, the wrong product will cause a desaster. 

Self-leveling is a term that applies to the lap sealet (caulk).  Caulks are fairly thick when squirted from a tube, so a "self-leveling" type helps smooth it out on horizontal surfaces. Never attempt to use self-leveling caulks/sealants on vertical or semi-vertical surfaces - it will run right down!    Roof coatings are brushed or rolled on, so get "leveled" by that process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom