5th wheel roof replace or coat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LlanoLonghorn

Hi, I'm doing a remodel of an old 1996 Dutchman 26ft 5th wheel. I would like some advice on the roof. Should it be replaced or coated with a product like Dicor. Here are a few pictures. Notice all the cracking.

Attachments

• 20210516_135538.jpg
    20210516_135538.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210516_135620.jpg
    20210516_135620.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 14
I've not seen a rubber roof membrane show cracks like that before - wonder if it was previously coated?

The cracking would make me want to replace the membrane rather than coat over it, but the price differential is so huge ($thousands vs $hundreds) that I would still consider coating over it instead. As long as the substrate is still sound (no previous leaks), coating ought to work ok.

Would you DIY or hire the job out? Re-coating is a relatively simple DIY job, but DIY roof replacement is more than most owners would want to tackle.

Thanks Gary, I would be doing it myself and at 79yrs old recoating seems doable. I was just concerned about all the cracking and if the coating would stick ok.

Roof coat products are really sticky, so lack of adherance is not a common problem. You don't need the Dicor brand stuff - Henry's Tropicool or Heng's Rubber Roof Coat works just as well and is often a little cheaper. Shop around for EPDM-compatible coatings.

I would still give it a general good wash with Dawn dish soap and broom or brush, and plenty of rinse water a day prior to re-coating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom