6.5' bed Fifth Wheel Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

307 Tailgater

In the market for a 5th wheel, the models I'm interested in have the king pin extended out in front of the body (see picture).

Truck bed is 6.5', will I need a slider hitch to avoid contact between truck and trailer?

Attachments

• webreadyprimary_2859.jpg
    webreadyprimary_2859.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 27
Slider hitch would always be a good idea in short bed trucks. You may only need it 1 out of 10 times, but that one time if it saves your cab it's worth it.

I agree sort of with Donn you may need it 1 in 100 times but its not the end of the world bigger question is what are you pulling it with? 1/2 TON 3/4"TON and what is the weight of the 5er. Getting the right size hitch is also a factor

I'll also recommend a slider hitch for a short bed tow truck.
I use a slider but hit my cab on both sides because I didn't take the time to use it on my previous 5er with my older short bed. Luckily I didn't crush the cab enough to break my rear cab glass.
The pinbox cleared the tailgate when the hitch was in the rearward position.

I'm also using the same slider in my new long bed.

I had a slider hitch but seldom needed it. When I did need it, I had already started backing up. It was a manual release and there would be too much pressure to release it. To use the slider, the 5th wheel and truck had to be straight, you released the manual release, set the trailer brakes and pulled forward until the slider locked in back position. Because of the few times I wanted to use the slider feature, I started looking at automatic sliders. I never purchased one so I can't comment on if it would have been better.

Instead I replaced the pinbox with a Reese Airbourne Sidewinder. The pinbox had an airbag that helped smooth the ride when towing and moved the pivot point back 22". I could make turns greater than 90 degrees. I removed the slider hitch and replaced it with a non-slider that I already had. The sidewinder did require some annual maintenance, remove bushing and recoat with lithium grease. Before we took a trip to Alaska (over 13,000 miles round trip), a friend of mine made me a replacement bushing, original bushing was some kind of nylon and he made me one out of a nylon-graphite mixture (don't remember the name of it) that worked much better than the original.

We have a Fifth wheel in the UK and tow it with the equivalent of a Nissan Frontier which has a really short bed. We have touched the cab with the trailer once but that was more in temper than common sense.
We also use a short bed here (6.75ft) for our 34' Fifth wheel, and have not had any issues because we use common sense. Neither tow vehicle uses a sidewinder, revelution or slider hitch. Hope this helps.

I agree sort of with Donn you may need it 1 in 100 times but its not the end of the world bigger question is what are you pulling it with? 1/2 TON 3/4"TON and what is the weight of the 5er. Getting the right size hitch is also a factor
1/2 ton. I've already done my homework for hitch weight and trailer weight my truck is rated for. This concern gets old from someone like myself that has pulled snowmobiles and livestock trailers all over the Rocky Mountain West, but I get it because there are some clueless individuals out there!

Please provide feedback on how to find the correct size hitch? I'm used to gooseneck livestock trailers.

No comment sorry
I apologize if I came across as a _ _ _ _. I had a specific question, and all of a sudden the question was asked about size of truck. Yes, I do appreciate your concerns and you are unfamiliar with my experience in towing and knowing how to read the specs on a truck and trailer. Everyone has is titled to their opinion on everything, and that's what forums are for!

I come from the snowmobile world where snowest forums had snowmobile police all over that website and it got a very old. So I apologize.

Back to my second question based off your first response, I have zero experience with king pins. Do I go off the GVWR of the trailer? Or do I need to take in consideration of the hitch weight?

Example of one of the trailers I'm looking at:
Dry Weight 6845 lbs.
Payload 3105 lbs.
GVWR 9950 lbs.
Hitch weight 1285 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to my second question based off your first response, I have zero experience with king pins. Do I go off the GVWR of the trailer? Or do I need to take in consideration of the hitch weight?
Both! 20% of GVWR and the weight of whichever hitch assembly you get.

I come from some of the best sledding in the world and cattle country (im in Alberta) here is the issue you need to go off the gvwr of the trailer @20% min so 10000lb trailer is 2000lbs pin weight MINIMUM plus 200lb hitch plus you and passengers and cargo in the truck - very few 1/2 tons have a payload of 2600 to 2800lbs. Sorry im not trying to be difficult but i tow in the mountains alot and a 1/2 ton is not going to cut it. A gooseneck horse trailer puts a lot less weight on the ball than a 5er on the pin

My 5er is 20000gvwr im at 4409 loaded on the rear axle

Attachments

• 20210524_160755.jpg
    20210524_160755.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Both! 20% of GVWR and the weight of whichever hitch assembly you get.
Example hitch: Pro Series 31860 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch is 202 lbs.

20% of GVWR example trailer is 1990 lbs.

1990lbs + 202lbs = 2192 lbs.

2192 lbs. is not 16k

What am I doing wrong?

A 16k 5er will have a pin weight of 3200 to 4000lbs. Where are you getting 1990lbs from? If a brochure its a missprint. What is the specific model yoyr looking at because when i look up Jayco Eagle the lightest 5er is "11,000lbs" and i can 100% gaurantee thats its not delivery weight cause its missing propane batteries "options" and its a marketing ploy.

Last edited:
I come from some of the best sledding in the world and cattle country (im in Alberta) here is the issue you need to go off the gvwr of the trailer @20% min so 10000lb trailer is 2000lbs pin weight MINIMUM plus 200lb hitch plus you and passengers and cargo in the truck - very few 1/2 tons have a payload of 2600 to 2800lbs. Sorry im not trying to be difficult but i tow in the mountains alot and a 1/2 ton is not going to cut it. A gooseneck horse trailer puts a lot less weight on the ball than a 5er on the pin

My 5er is 20000gvwr im at 4409 loaded on the rear axle
Fair Enough!

2013 f150 ecoBEAST Max Tow Package 157" WB 4x4
Conventional Towing - Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings 11,100 lbs. with GCWR 17,100 lbs.
Maximum Payload Weight Ratings 1,840 lbs. tongue weight with Max GVWR 7,700 lbs.

The example trailer I've been using is the heaviest I'd go. I'm wanting to stay way from bumper tows due to the wind here (I swear it gets worse every year), I've seen my fair share of bumper tows upside down on I-80 & I-25 in the summer. Probably lacking the equalizer hitch and excessive speeds!

Where is the extra 700 lbs. coming from for hitch weight? I agree round up on GVWR, but not understanding the rule of 20% vs what the manufacture is saying for hitch weight? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hitch weight and pin weight the same, just hitch weight refers to bumper tow and pin weight refers to 5th wheels?

A 16k 5er will have a pin weight of 3200 to 4000lbs. Where are you getting 1990lbs from? If a brochure its a missprint. What is the specific model yoyr looking at because when i look up Jayco Eagle the lightest 5er is "11,000lbs" and i can 100% gaurantee thats its not delivery weight cause its missing propane batteries "options" and its a marketing ploy.
TonyL said 20% of GVWR.

20% of 9950 = 1990 lbs.

I'm using the 2013 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RLS as an example.

Fair enough is that 9950 gvwr? Or empty shipping weight?
But given your numbers as an example you haveca payload of 1840 so minus you wife kids hitch etc lets say all those thing add up to 500lbs. 1840 minus 500 leaves you 1340 for pin weight. And your talking a 1990 pin your 650lbs over

Using your example of the 2013 jayco they are fudging numbers and using 16% of an empty trailer. Thats without batteries propane food bedding clothes pots pans etc etc etc problem is if one source prints a incorrect number others use the same source. And rv manufacturers will do anything to bend the numbers. Its like saying the best selling car in North America - in what class? Size? Price range etc etc

Last edited:
Fair enough is that 9950 gvwr? Or empty shipping weight?
But given your numbers as an example you haveca payload of 1840 so minus you wife kids hitch etc lets say all those thing add up to 500lbs. 1840 minus 500 leaves you 1340 for pin weight. And your talking a 1990 pin your 650lbs over
I'm so confused now!

Truck:
Conventional Towing - Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings 11,100 lbs. with GCWR 17,100 lbs.
Maximum Payload Weight Ratings 1,840 lbs. with Max GVWR 7,700 lbs.

Trailer:
2013 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RLS
Dry Weight 6845 lbs.
Payload 3105 lbs.
GVWR 9950 lbs.
Hitch weight 1285 lbs.

I'm roughly 500 lbs. safe for payload right?

I'm not understanding the 20% rule that's been mentioned for pin weight and selecting a fifth wheel hitch.

You mentioned tongue weight which is for travel trailers. Fifth wheels have pin weight and is a lot different. You really need to look at your trucks maximum payload. That only assumes a driver weight of 150lb so if you weigh more, take the extra off the max Payload. Then take the weight of all passengers from the payload. What is left is all you have for pinbox, pin weight, anything else that is in the truck. Pin weight must never be based on unladen weight.
Are you sure you still want a Fifth wheel on a 1/2 ton?
Our UK setup is on a 1000kg Pickup but the total fifth wheel weight is Only 8500 lb. Very small by US standard.
We very nearly made the weight mistake by thinking of a F250 until we realised we wouldn't be able to carry passengers.
The advice here is just that, advice, from those that have the bruises, none of whom are trying to sell you a new truck.
It is your choice whether to listen.
Having listened to advice here, we have never had a butt clench moment when towing.

Example hitch: Pro Series 31860 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch is 202 lbs.

20% of GVWR example trailer is 1990 lbs.

1990lbs + 202lbs = 2192 lbs.

2192 lbs. is not 16k

What am I doing wrong?
16K is what the maximum weight the pin box is rated to tow. The 1990 lb pin weight is already over the maximum payload of the truck, and that's without hitch, passengers etc.
Sorry.

Last edited:
Fair Enough!

Maximum Payload Weight Ratings 1,840 lbs. tongue weight with Max GVWR 7,700 lbs.
Where is the extra 700 lbs. coming from for hitch weight? I agree round up on GVWR, but not understanding the rule of 20% vs what the manufacture is saying for hitch weight? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't hitch weight and pin weight the same, just hitch weight refers to bumper tow and pin weight refers to 5th wheels?
The number your looking at in the brochure is based on dry weight. Since no one has ever towed a dry trailer you for practical purposes need to use the 20% of GVWR number. At a minimum you will have 2400 pounds directly over the rear axle. As fifth wheels place all their weight over the rear axle.
IMHO your setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment going for a fifth wheel with your current truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom