62 newbie looking to see the US solo with two dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjposner

I have always wanted to drive across the US on a long road trip and my opportunity to do so has finally opened up after this May. I will be selling my house, and free to travel as I work remotely. i will be going solo with two dogs, a 50lb Standard Poodle and a 20lb golden doodle. Looking for info, feedback and advice as I start this journey.

My initial plan is to rent a Class C for a week and take the dogs on a short trip to see how it goes. If all goes well, then aftyer I sell the house, I will take a multi-month drive from Florida to Alaska and everywhere in between.

Welcome to the forum. It does sound like a great adventure, what you're planning to do.

A lot of experienced people here will surely chime in with advice. I just wanted to mention that what you're thinking requires considerable planning and budgeting. For example, if you work remotely,a very good internet connection is a must, and many camping spots are lacking on that regard. You need to port your own (starlink, for example).

Also, unless you have very little o no equity in your house, why not considering renting and not selling? Something to consider.

Best of luck with your plans!

I agree on Internet, will likely get the starlink system.

As for renting, I have done that in the past and was not pleasant being a landlord (damages, two evictions, a tenant died before moving in), plus without being local if I travel and having a big old house, not a god plan.

Financially I am in good shape, and I am ocd so planning will not be an issue.

My biggest concerns are my dogs. If I got to a museum or a movie, will they be safe and secure.

Make sure you are set up to tow your car so you can go shopping, site seeing and get emergency help without having to pack up and move the entire rig. Of course you can also do the same with a good bike.

If the dogs get along and you have operational A/C or ceiling fans and windows they should be okay - it does help to post signs in the windows that there are animals inside so others can get them out in the very rare instance they need to be removed.

There are some wireless monitoring systems (that don't work everywhere) that you could purchase so you can "look in" on the pups when exploring.

We full-timed for three years with our dog. Never a problem but we also had an automatic-start generator to power the A/Cs in case of power failure.

Have fun!

Last edited:
So I am looking at a 24 for Class C or Class A motorhome, probably a lightly used model. My favorites so far are the Coachmen 22XG (love the back door) or an Axis 24.4. I will get a waggle for the dogs. I plan on bringing either an electric bike or small 250cc street trail motorcycle to get around.

Well MJ, it sounds a lot like you have a plan. We have put on lots of miles with 1~2 dogs between 40 and 70#. I can tell you that you will have to learn when the dogs are requesting a "Grass Stop".
That 70 was a Rotador, and when young she had really dreadful separation anxiety. So, I had to replace the curtain on the door a couple of times, but she got over it.
It was always worth the effort.
Matt

Isn't there an app for dogsitters or dog walkers? Maybe in the off times you need to, get one of those.

You are planning a very, very, very wise move by renting an RV first before purchasing. That experience will teach you a lot. How you handle the dogs on that trip will be a remarkable education too.

Just remember ... take plenty of poop bags. Nothing makes other RVers more angry than walking the campground and seeing dog poop on the ground! (that and the next camper over leaving their blaring carnival, Las Vegas trip lights on all night blaring in your windows!).

On the topic of renting, try renting something that is as close as possible to what you plan to buy, and more importantly use it in a way similar to how you plan to travel, also rent it for a long enough period to start getting cabin fever if it is going to be too small. For me personally that is going to be at least 3 days being stuck in the coach with unpleasant weather outside.

I was going to do a 10 day rental, drive around Florida in May or June. My dogs will only bark if someone knocks or makes noise around the house, I assume the same in the RV. They are not chewers or destroyers and are housebroken. I suspect that they would just sleep while I was gone. I would leave soothing music on, and I would make sure an RV I buy has the best exhaust fans for air flow.Panny pic.jpg

The rolling house, change of location and how well they travel may affect your dogs usual behavior. I would challenge them by giving your usual goodbye then exit. Walk away with purpose. If no reaction from them quietly return and set outside. Each time you leave make your absence longer. When you return give them your usual greeting, even if they react negatively . At each new location I would challenge them. You might even get some other campers involved while you listen. i.e. the squeal of kids, packing up noise, loud talking, knock on door etc,
Jennifer

Thanks ferfer, goo dpoints. I have travelled with my dogs before, and stayed at a very small bungalow (with lots of foot traffic outside at a beach resort) with them, leaving them alone while we were gone and they always seem to behave. My worries are heat/cold and strangers getting in while I am gone.

My worries are heat/cold and strangers getting in while I am gone.

An auto start generator transfer switch is or can be installed in an RV. This means when you are connected to 120V power (shore power} and lose power your RV will start the generator - restoring power. If boondocking there are automatic generator starting (AGS) systems.

There are various commercial temperature monitor alerts systems via WiFi/cell phone. These systems require you to return to coach.

Frequency of a RV break in is historically low. Awareness of environment and listing to that inner voice helps. IMHO most break ins are crimes of opportunity and random. There are commercial security systems and security tips online such as lock door and close windshield curtain. Do your best.
Jennifer

My suggestion, especially considering you are traveling with animals, is to make your plans with temperature as a high priority. So, you will probably want to head north from Florida and work your way north and possibly west. It is a lot easier to leave an animal in an RV when the temps are in the upper 60s and low 70s.

Since you want to go to Alaska, you could head directly north and travel along the upper tier of states towards Washington state, for example.

I do not travel with pets, but I can tell you that I feel very safe parking my 32' rig in museum, big box store, and shopping center lots. I use Google maps a lot in planning my outings, and I often will call visitor centers in cities about parking. In small towns or state and national parks, security is almost never a problem.

I agree you will learn by renting a motorhome. The most important is this style of travel for you.

Assuming yes, I hope you rethink the Coachmen 22XG or Axis 24.4. These appear more for weekend/short trips. I suspect the cargo carrying capacity and clean water tanks size is marginal due to both built on Ford E Series Chassis. Class A gasoline motorhomes are built on the Ford F53 chassis.

IMHO setting up/tearing down the bed would get old plus they are too small for comfortable long term travel.

You need a motorhome designed for long use with decent cargo carrying capacity and largish holding tanks. I would encourage a 50 amp (vs 30A) electrical system with generator.

The following is a Google find that might be of interest to you. No recommendation.

8 Small Class A RVs Under 30 Feet

You must find a floorplan that works for you but be aware of the limitations and tradeoffs.

Jennifer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom