7-Pin Connector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2006F350

When I had my 5W hitch installed, I raised a stink about the dealer putting the 7 pin connector in the bed of my truck as I already had one (factory installed) just below the bumper. Not heading their logic (I didn't want any unnecessary holes in the bed of my 'new' F350 King Ranch), I am now the proud? owner of scuff marks all over the tailgate of my truck. They buff out, but at some point, even when buffed, they will show. Now for the $64,000 question; is there a preferred location in the bed for the connector, or is it mainly wherever it's easiest to mount, and most importantly, are there pre-wired connectors is available with maybe 3 feet of wire, along with the necessary mounting and splicing hardware. So far, I have only found just the plugs. Guess it would work, but then the question becomes what size wire should I use? I would like to keep use of both plugs as on occasion I do pull a flatbed trailer.

Thanx muchly in advance.

Larry

Use 10 gauge for the brake wiring and 12-14 gauge for the rest.  Bigger is better when it comes to wiring.

I haven't seen any Pollack-type 7 pin conectors pre-wired with a pigtail - there are too many variations in location and wire length to make pre-packaging useful. Would probably need a pigtail of 10 feet or so to cover 80-90% of installations.

Thanx for the quick response. Guess it's out to Auto Zone or such for 7 10' spools of different color 10 guage wire, a handfull of splices, waterproof goop to seal the splices, then pick a spot, close my eyes and make the 'hole'.

While we were in the Smokies last week, I saw a pre-package thing at a local Wally World in Pigeon Forge, but it must be something special to that store as I couldn't find it on their website, nor in any of the local stores here in Memphis. I put it off as it was already pre-wired with the connector and a plug on the other end, but at the time I didn't know whether or not I had a matching plug on the truck and wasn't ready to drop $40+ bucks on something that may not work as advertised. Found out it would have worked but the matching plug is waaaay up front in the engine compartment and to use it I would have to disconnect the existing plug.

One option is to put together an "Extension" cable, bolt the "outlet" to the 5th wheel mount (no hole drilled in bed) and run the extension back to the original.  There are several ways to protect the cable where it comes up over the bumper and/or tailgate... NOODLES work well for that kind of thing (K-Mart, swimming toys)

I have a GMC 2500 with two connectors one in the bed. Pretty handy. The one in the bed is in the rear rib next to the tailgate. The ribb is hollow so you can snake wires in.

Nelson

My local auto store sells heavy duty trailer wire in any # of wire configurtions, (i.e., 3 wire, 5 wire, 7, etc) that has a a heavy rubber coating.  You tell him how many feet you want & he cuts it off a big roll.  Then just hook up your male or female connector to it & your done.

Really appreciate all the good information. I've also been seriously considering the rear stake pocket area. Looking at what I have, I think my biggest obsticle is that I have a bed liner installed, so it could turn out to be an interesting but doable project.

Thanx again

Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom