7 way connector comes loose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garf6819

We just finished our maiden voyage in our new TT and our brake controller, after a long trip, started flashing "o L" . Upon inspection of the 7 way the connector had come loose but didn't completely fall off. What a scare. How do we prevent the connections from coming loose. Am I doing something wrong? All I know is I push the connector in as hard as I can. Is there a click I should feel? or a twist I should give? Is there a locking mechanism that I'm failing to do?? ???? Thanks for your help.

21' R Vision
Prodigy brake controller

On most of the 7-way connectors there is indeed lock, it is the lid to the socket,  If you look at the plug there is a "Dorsal fin" (like a shark's fin) on the "Top" of it, If you push it in far enough there is a catch on the "inside" of the lid that will hook this 'Fin" and lock the plug into the socket.

At least that is how mine work

The good news is that if it comes loose, you know what the brake controller will flash

Sometimes that tab on the underside of the tow vehicle receptacle cover is hard to engage without a bit of force.  Get down beside the connector and push the trailer plug in hard until you see its tab engage the receptacle's tab.

I will have to take better notice next trip. If I need to I will replace the whole setup with one that says "idiot proof".

Thanks for your help.

garf6819 said:
I will have to take better notice next trip. If I need to I will replace the whole setup with one that says "idiot proof". .

Alas, that can't be done for it is well and truly written (Murphy's Law and Other Reasons why Things go Wrong, though I do not recall which of the 3 books) that as soon as you make something idiot proof.. Nature will make a better idiot!

Tell you what, we have all had things like this happen at one time or another, perhaps not exactly that (though it comes rather close to a problem I had last trip, easily diagnosed and repaired)  so we all know how you feel.

garf6819 said:
We just finished our maiden voyage in our new TT and our brake controller, after a long trip, started flashing "o L" . Upon inspection of the 7 way the connector had come loose but didn't completely fall off. What a scare. How do we prevent the connections from coming loose. Am I doing something wrong? All I know is I push the connector in as hard as I can. Is there a click I should feel? or a twist I should give? Is there a locking mechanism that I'm failing to do?? ???? Thanks for your help.

21' R Vision
Prodigy brake controller

More for safety then any other reason, I use one of those small velcro straps to make sure the lid stays down and holds the trailer plug in place.  Did you check your tow vehicle to make sure the spring on the lid was OK? 

The Velcro idea is good. I had a buddy at work suggest greasing up the whole plug to make it easier to push in. I had to do a sanity check. I believe grease is an insulator?

There are two kinds of greast, one insulates, one conducts (Actually there are several kinds of grease but for our purpose)

I've heard of cars where the wrong grease was used on the distributor... Did not work well.

When you plug the thing in the contacts are what is called "Self Cleaning" so they scrape the grease off and make contact.  It really does work  You ever remove a lamp from it's socket on a car, they are often greased to prevent corrosion, good idea actually

Well then. I guess the grease, the velcro and a plastic ziplock for after use storage is what I'm going to try. Thanks

The plastic Zip Lock may not be such a good idea,  You see, unless you get a very good seal between the bag and the cable to keep moisture out it can find it's way in (always did for me) and then it's trapped in there doing it's dirty work

The Dielectric grease on the other hand.  Works very well

Any electrical supply house will carry some form of it. Lowe's or Home Depot may even have it. Some names to look for are Noalox or Penetrox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom