72x80 mattress -- can't figure out where to find mattress pad & sheets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newcamper

We just bought a new fifth wheel, and the bed is a strange size.  Not long enough to be California King, (same width) but not wide enough to be regular king.  It is wider than a queen at 72x80.  Anyone know where I can find a mattress pad and sheets that will fit?

Hi Newcamper,

You might try RV supply outfits such as Camping World. They might have the odd sized covers.

It's called a "Dual" if that helps any!
California King is 72 x 84 and Queen is 60 x 80.

I don't know what regular King is.

Hope this helps.

King plain sheets fit - they are just long and you tuck more in. Fitted sheets & pads are the pain to find and very expensive when you do find them.  When we had one that size, Nancy finally modified some standard fitted sheets herself. Next time we bought a rig, we made sure it has a full 84 inch bed.

Will any of these work?  http://www.camec.com.au/50-Soft%20Furnishings.htm

And here's a tip that uses suspendors to tightly tie in oversized covers: http://www.fmca.com/fmc2003/sepmag/tips.asp#Tight%20Bottom%20Sheet

Some Rv stores sell mattress clips, which are sort of like an old-fashioned garter, which pull the corners together to make oversized sheets fit.

Hi Newcamper!

RV mattresses are always a pain when it comes to linens.  With our latest RV mattress, I was able to solve the problem at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  They have queen sheets that fit the newer extra thick (up to 15 inches thick) mattresses.  The sheets I used on our previous MH's mattress, which was the same size but thinner, weren't large enough because of the added thickness of the newer mattress so you have not only a size issue, but also a thickness issue.  Yes, I suppose linens might cost a little more at BB&B, but you'll have them for a long time and they're decent quality.  They also have mattress pads for the thicker mattresses.  Because our bed platform lifts up for storage access, they can't make the platform as long as the mattress or it would hit the ceiling so blankets are an additional problem.  Regular queen blankets fold under the mattress but come right to the edge of the platform and cannot be folded under between the platform and the mattress.  To solve that problem I took about two feet of an old sheet, edged it, and sewed a new bottom to the blanket.  I've found that the extension works better if you make it the width of the bed platform rather than the full width of the blanket.  Also, because it's under the mattress it doesn't show so still looks okay.

Good luck on solving your problem.  Remember, where there's a will, there's a way.  :)

ArdraF

I always assumed that an rv bed was the same size as a bed at home.  And then I assumed you could buy special sheets.  Well apparently you can, but not in this size!!!!  I will give the regular king sheets a try and see if I can find a regular flat mattress pad that I can tuck under.  Thanks for your help! :p

Don't be surprised if the kings are way too big.  I tried that too and returned them because the sides were down on the floor when untucked and the bottom still wasn't long enough to tuck under.  Depending on where you live and what's available, California kings are longer and Eastern kings are wider.  I've noticed some linens nowadays are just labeled king and don't do very well at either.  I strongly suspect the mfgrs. are trying to kill two birds with one stone in a money-saving action that doesn't bode well for us consumers.  :'(

ArdraF

For a matress pad I'd take the next size up and cut it down.

For sheets... Try the next size down... My rig is supposed to be "Queen Size" but my wife uses regular "Full Size" sheets on it (At least the bottom sheet)  Go figure. they sure can't

Back
Top Bottom