8 baby ducks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

A family of 8 baby Muscovy ducks were hatched around February 27th 2021. I first spotted them swimming in the lagoon in my back yard. They stop by here every day looking for free handouts. Eventually a hawk picked a few off and now we are down to two ducks. They are now too big for the hawks so it looks like they will make it.

Now I know how easy it is to 'shoot ducks in a pond'. They are very cooperative.

I love that you get to see all the neat nature things. Thanks for sharing!

That would make it too easy for the hawk that lives nearby. There started out with eight babies and now we are down to two.
We have a bunch of swans here on one of the lakes in the center of town in Lakeland FL. They are well taken care of by the city and our Vet gives them physicals I think every year. The swans will lay their eggs anyplace on the shore. Once they hatch, the city collects the chicks and puts them in these pens, along with mom. The pens are partially in the water but they have a wire mesh roof to stop predators from getting to the chicks.

We have a bunch of swans here on one of the lakes in the center of town in Lakeland FL. They are well taken care of by the city and our Vet gives them physicals I think every year. The swans will lay their eggs anyplace on the shore. Once they hatch, the city collects the chicks and puts them in these pens, along with mom. The pens are partially in the water but they have a wire mesh roof to stop predators from getting to the chicks.
How cool. About six months ago I discovered one goose egg that was laid under the back of my fiver. No one was sitting on it so it never hatched.

How those cute things can turn into something as ugly as a Muscovy, I'll never know. We used to have a lot on our little lake, but now we're down to one, that has mated with a female Mallard. Our other local lake I think has more Moscovies. We have mostly the Mexican Whistling ducks right now. Boy are they noisy.

I live in the country in Virginia and get to see all kinds of wildlife right outside my door every day.
I love and hate nature all at the same time.
I was walking to my barn one day when I heard all sorts of commotion from some birds. I turned my head to see why, and I saw a hawk flying by with a bird in his talons with the other birds in hot pursuit trying to get the hawk to release its meal.
I love nature, but hate to witness its meal plan in action.

How those cute things can turn into something as ugly as a Muscovy, I'll never know. We used to have a lot on our little lake, but now we're down to one, that has mated with a female Mallard. Our other local lake I think has more Moscovies. We have mostly the Mexican Whistling ducks right now. Boy are they noisy.
Not only ugly, but they make the biggest mess in a public setting. And they breed worse than rabbits and cats. The only thing that you can compare them with is geese, which also are dirty polluters when they gather in masses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom