8 Days Exploring Michigan's Upper Peninsula's Fall Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

This slide show covers an eight day trip around the central section of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  The trip was from October 5th to the 13th.  It also gives some detail of the parks we stayed in during the trip.  The total slide show is 12 minutes long and is accompanied with music.  The show is high resolution and is intended for computer screen and not iphones.

https://youtu.be/8Wjo6QY9RVY

:)) :))Wow, fantastic. My sister Sue told me that the best fall color display is in UP but I never got there in the fall. My favorite part was the waterfall. What is the name of that waterfall? Thanks for posting.

SeilerBird said:
:)) :))Wow, fantastic. My sister Sue told me that the best fall color display is in UP but I never got there in the fall. My favorite part was the waterfall. What is the name of that waterfall? Thanks for posting.
It was good but really we were maybe a week off from the "so called peak".  My brother and I were on a 6 day canoe trip just before this trip and with a few days for my body to recoup from the canoe trip put this trip after the "peak".  The water falls is the Tahquamenon Falls.  The water color comes from the roots of the tamarack trees that are in the area.  Looks like root beer.

Great photography, and very nicely produced. The color was god, but fro really great fall color in the U.P., you need to spend a few days it the Keweenaw Peninsula, particularly the area around Copper Harbor. Brockway Mountain has superb views overlooking the color below. Ft. Wilkins State Park, just outside of Copper Harbor has a very nice camp ground.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
Great photography, and very nicely produced. The color was god, but fro really great fall color in the U.P., you need to spend a few days it the Keweenaw Peninsula, particularly the area around Copper Harbor. Brockway Mountain has superb views overlooking the color below. Ft. Wilkins State Park, just outside of Copper Harbor has a very nice camp ground.

Joel

2013 we did western lower peninsula.

2014 we did a fall color and wine tour in northwestern lower peninsula. 

2018  Got as far as Hancock on our 2018 fall color tour.  Had to do genealogy work there.  My wifes family came from Hancock.  That trip we focused on the western UP.  Maybe next year we will get to the tip.  Half mile south of Twin Lakes SP is a small store at the intersection of M26 and Emily Lake Rd and they have the best pasties we have ever had.  Did not get the stores name though.  ???? 

2019 we did far western UP including the Porcupine Mountains.

So much to see in Michigan and so little time.  Will get to the northern tip some fall.  Last time there was 35+ years ago!!

For man years, a small group of us used to go up there from Chicago every year on motorcycles. Eventually, DW and I decided that we were too old to be riding a bike through the snow.

By the way, the average person, not from the U.P., has no idea what a pastie is.

Joel

Michigan's UP is beautiful year round.. Sun or Snow it's still beautiful
Those of us who have visited northern MI starting right about Indian River in the LP and all the way through the UP have a name for it.... GOD's COUNTRY. 

And if you have ever been there you know way.
Second "Biggest" (in terms of Gallons ovre lip per minute) waterfall (Niagra is bigger) Pictured Rocks.  Forest after Forest.. Dunes... and so so much more.

The Famous Whitefish Bay.. Mi's Upper Penna.

Fall is colourful in the west but nothing like that! We get mostly yellow aspen but throw in snow capped peaks and clear blue sky it is beautiful.

Roy M said:
Fall is colourful in the west but nothing like that! We get mostly yellow aspen but throw in snow capped peaks and clear blue sky it is beautiful.

I've done fall colors in Vermont, New Hampshire. Smoky Mountains, Wisconsin, and much of the west, but nothing beats Michigan's U.P. 

In the west, your intense yellows are pretty, but you also get some very nicely intense reds. These were taken in early October, 2012, In the Dixie National Forest.

Joel

Attachments

• Fall in Utah 1.jpg
    Fall in Utah 1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Fall in Utah 2.jpg
    Fall in Utah 2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom