8351-III furnace, block exhaust & it will ignite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramblin'Jay

My furnace stopped working - I can hear it try to ignite, and sometimes it does, but immediately goes out.
I cleaned all the connections. I blew compressed air thru the propane line. I replaced the orifice; the burner is fine.
The valve that lets propane thru seems to open, and when it does I can blow thru it w/o issue.
I can smell propane; so it's making it thru. (I have no way to test the pressure/volume of the propane)
While I was giving up; I stumbled and leaned against the exhaust blocking it -- and the furnace ignited.
I repeated this with a block of wood - mostly blocking the exhaust, started the furnace, and boom - it ignites every time.
If I slide the wood away slowly to slowly open the exhaust, after about a 1/2 inch, the furnace quits.

Any ideas?

Best guess as you say it fires when flue is restricted is wrong propane to air ratio. You say you replaced the orifice (jet) so I would be looking at restrictions in the fuel supply or in the regulator. Are the other propane appliances working correctly?
TonyL

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, fridge works, water heater works, stove works. But this might be just in my head, the water heater sounds louder, but otherwise everything seems normal.

I did use an air compressor to blow air thru the line. But don't know how well it came out the other end.

So maybe I should check the line again, and replace the regulator?

Those furnaces are very sensitive to air/fuel ratio and any sort of debris in the air intake & exhaust tubes will prevent reliable ignition. Common problems are rust flakes, insect nests/webs, and mud dauber egg cases. You can try vacuuming the tubes, but the best method is to take them out and clean.

It doesn't sound like you have a gas feed problem, so I'd leave the gas line & valve alone. They seldom give trouble.

I've written a Furnace article for the RV Forum RESOURCES library - see https://www.rvforum.net/resources/furnace-troubleshooting.225/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom