$900 to replace fuel sending unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryan2

I have a 1995 Itasca with a 75 gallon fuel tank.  the sending unit is not working and I was just told that replacing it would cost $900 because it has some type of integrated sending unit system..they didn't say if the whole tank is replaced or just the sending unit.  I've replaced them in boats and other vehicles and it was nothing special.  the frame is made by Ford.  does anyone have any experience with this issue or have more knowledge about what might solve the problem at a more reasonable cost.  any suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated.  thanks.

I had to buy a new fuel sender/pump for my Jeep (due to an error on my part when I dropped the tank for an armor upgrade) and the part was $250 and I had a core charge. The tank gauge sender on my Ford F250 diesel broke and that was a $1,000 job at the dealer.

Dropping the tank on my Jeep was a huge PITA. Pay the money.

The expense is dropping the tank to do the change.  Maybe they pump it out first for safety reasons as well.

If you can't DIY, you are pretty much stuck paying pro shop labor rates and its a time-consuming job.

thanks for these much appreciated replies.  the quote to drop the tank was $200-250 but the increase was based on their investigation of which sending unit would be needed...they said it was "...a special assembly from Ford" who made the chassis.........hadn't heard of anything like that before so now wondering why a standard sending unit couldn't be mounted instead?

IF ...you match the impedance and float length it is possible to mount an aftermarket sending unit. This would still involve dropping the tank after it is empty then purging the fumes from the tank before hole sawing, drilling and tapping the holes for the new sending unit or using self tapping screws.

I did match up an aftermarket piece for the in tank fuel pump/sending unit once for my jeep....saved a couple of hundred $$$$ but it took quite a bit of research matching part numbers. It would really be a disappointment to drop the tank just to find out you ordered the wrong part.

You will probably find out that the sending unit also included the in tank fuel pump as well,  making the parts cost higher. Ford is funny about trying to hold on to their parts. Henry Ford is quoted as saying "I would give the cars away if I was the only one able to sell their parts"

You might take a look at the Silverleaf. I use it for seeing when I need fill up. I don't think it uses the sender. There was/is one for sale on this forum.

not familiar with Silverleaf....will do some research - thanks for the suggestion.
bryan

As I recall (its been 18 years since I had a similar Ford chassis), the fuel pump, level-sensor and sending unit are all one unit and in the tank.  What would some other sending unit connect to?  There is no separate float gauge in the tank as far as I know, so you are stuck doing a mod such as Catblaster describes..

So they are saying that its $250 for th tank labor plus another $650 for the Ford unit?  WOW!  Last I knew, that replacement unit was about $250, but that was some years ago now.

UPDATE: I see the unit for $345 on Ebay, so maybe the Ford direct price is $600 or so.  Would the shop allow you to provide the part?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fuel-Pump-and-Sender-Assembly-Motorcraft-PFS-48/74828864?iid=301960296467&chn=ps

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/engine-and-drivetrain/fuel-systems-and-components/fuel-pump/motorcraft/mipfs48

that really answers the question!  just more than my pocketbook will allow so will just keep track of miles and mpg.  thanks to all for your help and clarification.
bryan

bryan2 said:
that really answers the question!  just more than my pocketbook will allow so will just keep track of miles and mpg.  thanks to all for your help and clarification.
bryan
A jerry can of gas mounted on the rear (ladder, maybe) might be a good insurance to have.

judway said:
You might take a look at the Silverleaf. I use it for seeing when I need fill up. I don't think it uses the sender. There was/is one for sale on this forum.

The Silverleaf does not use the sender. It has an available module called "Tank Minder" which starts with a user entered fuel onboard (which you reset each time you fill-up). Using calculated MPG it then gives you a miles to empty readout. Lots of other features but that is one of them.

NY_Dutch said:
If Silverleaf connects to an OBD2 port, it won't work with the OP's 1995 OBD1 port.

They only specify ?6 or 9 pin diagnostic harness? so don?t know beyond that.

If it would make you feel any better, Honda just charged me 723.23 to replace the fuel pump unit in my Honda CRV and they didn't have to pull the fuel tank, I don't think.

This probably wont work for you but on a chevy truck we got tired of pulling the tank so we cut an access panel in the bed of the truck. Made it easy to change out fuel pump, sensor and wiring. Your access panel would probably be in one of the compartments and an access cover could be made from most anything from plywood to metal. I know if I ever have to access the on in our Luxor will be cutting a hole.

I believe that the Silverleaf may only work on diesel. If you have a Ford, it will probably be a gasoline engine. May not work.

Even with working gauges, I mostly determine refueling stops by mileage, not the gauge.  I know my approximate mpg, so from that know my operating range in miles. The Trip Odometer is all I need to monitor that, and miles to the next refueling point is usually more useful to me anyway.  With a 75 gallon full tank and a 460 gas V8, I'd use 7 mpg as average mileage and figure about 50 gallons as the refueling point, so about 350 miles. If you know fuel stations are readily available in the area, you might stretch that to 60 gallons (420 miles).

Back
Top Bottom