91 Itasca Quirk or Common?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemart

Hi,

My wife and I just spent our first overnight in our 91 Itasca 34 foot class A (chevy 454). We had a great time except for one little item. On our 120 mile trip we noticed that when we headed up hills and tried to keep a reasonable speedl the check engine light would come on and the engine would rev and then quickly "re-ingage" and we would continue.

On the way to our destination it happened a couple of times and then on the way home I slowed down (45mph 50 and 55) and it only happened once.

Is this a safety item for the engine and or trannny or do I have a problem? It is a little concerning as I was planning on towing a car behind the motorhome but I don't know if people behind me would appreciate how slow I may have to go.

I've had small class C's and a couple of trailers but this is my first Class A.

Thanks,

Mike M.

I for one would suggest changing transmission fluid 1st and foremost and then check out your EGR valve.  Also possible to have a vaccuum leak in the emissions system.  Never had a Chev powered RV but on A Ford when the light started coming on, to clear the fuel line and EGR system I bought  a tank full of Premium Fuel and added 6 cans of Fuel line and emission cleaner and run it hard.  The light came on more than usual but then when I refueled it seemed to have cleared it up.  Won't tell you what to do , but that's what I did. It worked for me.  Just did the same thing on our older car.  It seems to be the result of constantly using regular unlead fuel.  When you don't drive them a lot and keep them hot , perhaps they lacquer up.  At Least that
s the way I look at it.

Back
Top Bottom