'93 E350 motorhome - generator clicks fast but won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgnprof

This is an older Onan 4000 BGE genny - has always worked fine.  Now, all of a sudden, it won't start.  Initially, it did nothing - push both the remote start and the start button on the genny and nothing - not a click, not a sound.  I checked the connections at the genny from the battery - 13.5 volts.  Cleaned up the connections there - one heavy gauge black wire and one heavier gauge red wire. Also, cleaned up the 5 amp fuse - now it clicks really fast, but still no cranking.  So I feel like I'm making progress - next step?

Thanks.
Ryan

many rigs have a low fuel generator shut-off..... is the gas tank on the motorhome under 1/4 tank ?

The 4000 has an external ("Ford style") starter solenoid. If you have known good batteries, it's probably the solenoid. Mine failed completely spontaneously.

If it is only clicking, it is not a fuel issue. If it was turning over (cranking) without starting, then I would agree that it was a fuel issue, but not until then. If I were in your shoes, I would attach a set of booster cables from another vehicle (not the motorhome), directly to the generator, to see if it starts. If it starts readily, then I would suspect your house batteries, notwithstanding the good voltage reading you got.

rgnprof said:
This is an older Onan 4000 BGE genny - has always worked fine.  Now, all of a sudden, it won't start.  Initially, it did nothing - push both the remote start and the start button on the genny and nothing - not a click, not a sound.  I checked the connections at the genny from the battery - 13.5 volts.  Cleaned up the connections there - one heavy gauge black wire and one heavier gauge red wire. Also, cleaned up the 5 amp fuse - now it clicks really fast, but still no cranking.  So I feel like I'm making progress - next step?

Thanks.
Ryan
  Check voltage cranking? Above 10/11 volts

Ryan, is your RV currently connected to shore power?  I had the same symptoms on my old dinosaur and it turned out to be a faulty Intellitec solonoid for the 12-volt house disconnect.  Check to see if you have any 12-volt power to lights from the battery when not connected to shore power.  When connected to shore power mine would click rapidly but not crank.  When it wasn't it would click once and then nothing. 

We've been on the road - OKC to Red River, NM and from here to South Fork. I got a chance to read the posts on my phone and decided to pull the house battery and take it in to a NAPA in Clayton, NM - tested bad. Replaced it and everything has been good since! I'm still not sure how these batteries work in this coach - I thought I had a dedicated battery for the genny - it's located inside the front driver's side storage compartment and right in front of the genny. The one I replaced however, is under the hood on the front passenger side...

Anyway, the generator started right up after replacing it. My only concern is that I am not properly charging it while driving or while hooked up. I had to disconnect this battery to do all of the AC work I've recently completed and I'm a little concerned I might have messed something up - blown some fuse, etc. in that process.

Thanks for the help!
Ryan

Most don't have a dedicated battery for the generator, they are wired to the house battery bank for starting purposes. This is not universally true though.

Back
Top Bottom