95 Pace Arrow shaking real bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

95pace

I bought this Motorhome about 4 yrs ago,it had some handling problems ,swaybar bushings trashed ,old shocks ,old steering stabilizer.In the last couple yrs I have swapped all of the shocks and steering stabilizer out with Monroe products and it drives so much better and handles great as well. It always had a little shake in it that I thought would go away with the new shocks and stabilizer,but instead it got worse.I just returned from a trip to Hungry Mother State Park, and this thing about shook our teeth out  I have jacked it up and checked everything underneath and can't find anything that could be causing this.It seems to start  around 55 to 65 just at times it doesn't do it all the time and I noticed if it is shaking and you have to make a turn it quits until you straighten wheel out again. Thought it was a wheel balance problem so ordered Dyna Beads and had them installed did not help abit.I am at my wits end anyone have any ideas they would greatly be appreciated, need to find a cure for this problem.
Thanks,
Doug Wickham

Unit has safe steer ,and the air bags set about 45psi ,tires set at 85psi,alignment seems fine can release wheel and she tracks nice and straight

Steering wheel ,whole front end of coach,my tvlooks like it might just shake itself apart it sits right above dog box.

Check for tread separation, Check your center link to make sure the play is not excessive in the joints and the steering box itself. Doug, look closely at your tread wear pattern which should give you some hints on what is going on. I have seen brake rotors out of balance also but that is probably the last place I would suspicion. How about the condition of the hwy when the vibration starts. Rough conditions could be an indicator of worn parts such as the centerlink. I haven't been in that part of Va in quite a few years, how is Hungry Mother SP?

Tire tread separation is a very likely possibility. So is wheel alignment, which would be my first choice of action. The alignment shop will tell you if the tie rods, ball joints, etc are ok too.

You could move the front tires to the rear and see if the vibration moves. And how old are those tires?  Check the tire dates. A tire that looks good can be rotten inside and literally coming apart at the seams.

Check the TIRES!!!!! MY old Southwind had tread seperation that almost peeled the tread and was only visible on the inside of tire.It was shaking bad in the steering. You should remove tire and check both sides. Like Gary said check the dates if old get new ones ASAP.

I am going to try Garys idea of moving tires to the back and see if that helps.The tires are about 5 yrs old they had just  them on when I bought the RV.They are Kelly armorsteel ,wear looks great ,we have put about 15000 miles on it since I bought it. Hunry Mother is one of the nicest parks I have been to so far gwcowgill ,you should check it out sometime, we stay at Camp Burson right outside of the park they have full hookups and bigger sites.

What chassis?  I have seen this many times on GMs P30/P32 chassis with the IFS suspension.  If it is what I think it is it is called 'death wobble' and generally requires you to get your speed down to around 20-25 MPH then it will go away.  It you hit a bump with a front tire it will cause a violent side to side shaking that feels as though it will pull the steering wheel free from your hands.

If that is what it is then change your tie rods.  I have had several that the tie rods didn't feel all that bad, maybe a little play, but in the right conditions it is exagerated.  Mike.

You might check your front wheel bearings.  I've had several old cars that had  similar problems and was corrected by replacing the wheel bearings.

I can speed up and it seems to smooth out if I let off the accelerator it gets worse.I will check tie rods this weekend also thought about the wheel bearings too.I put new ones on drivers side 2 yrs ago when brake line collapsed and rotor locked up .Fried wheel bearings and seal ,warped rotor ,killed caliper.Should probably changed passenger side then but was leaving for beach and didn't take time ,did change out brake line on that side though and bearings felt ok.I am going to give everything a thorough once over have another big trip in three weeks need to figure this out before then.thanks for all the help.

Changed out wheel bearings yesterday seems to have fixed the problem at least on my test drive.Will be going out next weekend to Sycamore Lodge  in NC about a 2hr drive will see then if it is fixed.I appreciate all the ideas and help guys . Thanks.

The front wheels replaced  both inner and outer.Though the inside set are the ones I felt like were the problem. Anyway will findout this weekend if I fixed it are not.

Took trip to Sycamore Lodge  down next to Pinehurst NC.Motorhome drove great no shaking or vibration at all .I am very pleased with the way she drove.Hope this helps someone else with like problem.

As Gary said, thanks for the feedback...It is hard to diagnose on the computer but you sure get some good ideas of things to check here. BTW, we are in VA now at Louisa, Va. Nice campground here called Small Country Campground but it is kindof out of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom