96 34ft vectra w/ slide 230 cummins w/ 6 spd world tranny.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mblaster

May have a line on a decent one one.
I tow a 4500lb powerboat plus 2 kids, a wife and all the stuff.
I looked at the numbers and it looks like she can handle the weight.
I know it will be underpowered, but it would be a way to get into a dp and start learning about them. Think stepping stone.
Any opinions on the old vectra's

Can't tell you much about a Vectra but we have friends with a 1973 BlueBird with a 230HP engine that tow a trailer loaded with a van that weighs in at 6,000 pounds all over the NorthWest. They go up the grades slow but have always arrived! (They have been doing so for 20+ years) ::)

Vectras used to be Winnebago's top of the line and I think generally had a decent reputation. The 6 speed tranny helps the somewhat wimpy 230 HP engine, so as Jeff says, you may be slow but it will be steady. The engine itself is reputed to be a solid, if unexciting, performer.

As a stepping stone, it's probably fine.  But you didn't mention how old or anything about price.  Old Rvs can have age related problems, as has been discussed here several times.  Mostly rubber and plastic stuff that has simply dies of old age. Tires are abig item - check the tire manufacturing dates stamped on the sidewalls.  Belts and hoses are another.  Look at the maintenance records too.

Depending on the price, you may be able to get a much newer one for very little more money.

Back
Top Bottom