'99 HR Imperial or '00 Monaco Diplomat Not sure, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVSSNAKE

We are looking at 2 units this weekend and would like some input from the all knowing forum if you please.

One is a 1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial with 45,000 miles Cummins 330, allison 6 speed trans approx 39'.
The other is a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with 71,000 miles 315 Cummins not sure on the trany yet approx 38'.

Any input of your infinite wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Both of those will be nice coaches, assuming you like the floorplans, maintenance has been kept up, and overall condition is good. Be sure to check the manufacturing date codes on the tires (click the Glossary button above for more details). The lower mileage on the older coach might indicate it sat for long periods, but might be something ask the owner.

Thanks for the responses.

Maintenance has been kept up with on both coaches and the owners have documtation.

The Monaco is due for its fluid and filter changes.

Tires on both are within the last 3 years.

Batteries for the house on the Monaco are new and the chassis is 3 years old.

On the HR not sure till I see the Batteries up close.

Depending on the already-mentioned items, Monaco was building pretty good coaches back then.  We had a 1999 Monaco Windsor 34 footer that we loved.  Our best recollection was it had the Cummins 350.  Traded up to a larger  2004 Monaco Executive 40 footer that we still have and love.

ArdraF

I'm thinking that Monaco owned HR back then and you should see many similarities with the body and chassis.

I think the HR Imperial is a higher end coach that the Diplomat is,

The HR has a bigger engine so it probably a bigger trans and other stuff.

The HR has lower millage.

start looking  for high end options,  Exhaust/eng brakes, or like an Aqua-hot system, inverter/battery options, solar panels,  TMPS and other system management systems.

Both have the reputations of a quality made coachs. 

Thanks Sightseers but the wife unit has vetoed the HR Imperial.

We are planing to still go look at the 2000 Monaco Diplomat on Saturday though.

Link below for more details and pics.

https://evansville.craigslist.org/rvs/d/for-sale-38ft-2000-monaco/6644689970.html

Thoughts still?

Monaco is my vote as long as it's clean and  looks well cared for. Nice unit for the money also. 

Here is another 2000 Monaco in the same price range that is for sale on South Florida CL for comparison.  Not being all that familiar with the Monaco, I'm not sure of the differences in the two units.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/rvd/d/2000-monaco-dynasty-duke-40ft/6627403465.html 

Seilerbird notes the NADA RV valuation for that coach, but I think this is one of the places where the free NADA RV Guide goes astray.  It is based on an average depreciation calculation, not actual sales prices, so the NADA values can stray from reality for popular models or older rigs in top condition.  IF that Diplomat is in as excellent a condition as the ad would lead you to believe, it may be worth as much as $37k. If not, then closer to $25k.  I would probably bargain hard unless  it is really exceptional.
There are several 1999-2002 Diplomats advertised online and near all have asking prices in the $36k-$39k range. Mileage around 70,000 is typical and many Monacos of that era have been very well-kept.

Re the Dynasty as an alternative: The Dynasty is a more upscale model than the Diplomat. Think Cadillac vs Buick.

Be careful,  Buying any product because of the "Brand Name" on it is no guaranty of quality. 

The brand name "Monaco" was sold to several different companies.

The brand name "Monaco" was sold to several different companies.
Are you sure of that? Rev Group thinks they bought exclusive rights to the Monaco brand as well as the other brand name families that Monaco owned, e.g. Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Safari, etc.

Perhaps you mean that "Monaco" company and its brands have been sold and resold a couple times since 2009?
In any case, in model year 2000, Monaco was its own corporation. They owned the Holiday Rambler brand at that time as well.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Are you sure of that? Rev Group thinks they bought exclusive rights to the Monaco brand as well as the other brand name families that Monaco owned, e.g. Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Safari, etc.

Perhaps you mean that "Monaco" company and its brands have been sold and resold a couple times since 2009?
In any case, in model year 2000, Monaco was its own corporation. They owned the Holiday Rambler brand at that time as well.

the company (or the rights to the name) has been many things over the years from the Caribou campers co. in Oregon takeover of Executive RV of Orange county CA to being owned by Harley Davidson, Navistar , Thor, and finally now it's owned by the people at Fleetwood.  now days (IMO) Monaco's are built in Indiana and are just a Fleetwood with Monaco badges.

It's like buying a Chevy or Toyota now days, it may say Toyota but it's made in India by Tata corporation.

Back in the era we're talking about Monaco Coach Corp. was it's own entity.  They built quality diesel pushers.  Top of the line was Signature with the Executive, Dynasty, and Windsor at the lower end.  Our Windsor was in no way a "low end" product.  It was well made with a nice interior, including solid cherry cabinets, Aqua Hot, air leveling, etc.  Eventually Monaco bought Safari, Holiday Rambler for it's slide-out technology and Beaver for it's beautiful woodworking.  After those purchases Monaco had another couple of good years before getting into the Motorcoach Resort business and going bankrupt after which it was bought first by Navistar and then by the REV Group.

The Diplomat was brought into the line after we bought our Windsor and it was at the low end of the line, although it wasn't really "low end" either.  Perhaps the fabrics weren't quite a sturdy, but the "bones" were similar to the other lines.  All were built on the Roadmaster chassis and had Cummins engines with Allison transmissions.

ArdraF

The variety of Roadmaster chassis had more to do with weight capacity & size of motorhome, although the bigger/heavier coaches were usually higher end. (Gas v diesel, length, # axles, # air bags, engine, etc).

ELeland said:
Here is another 2000 Monaco in the same price range that is for sale on South Florida CL for comparison.  Not being all that familiar with the Monaco, I'm not sure of the differences in the two units.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/rvd/d/2000-monaco-dynasty-duke-40ft/6627403465.html
nice but, no slides

SeilerBird said:
The NADA value for the Monaco is about $20k.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2000/Monaco/M-38A-315hp/3022626/Values
nada means nothing, I have looked high and low for a nice diesel pusher in that era for their supposed value. Never found one or I'd have one by now. Lots of  junk piles for 20K. Wish I could since we would like to move into a coach in 3-4 years, then on to Tennessee . I'd go with the HR with 45K miles, most likely a better quality coach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom