A Blue Light Special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Another example of the power of the Forum is half completed today.

After losing part of our Directway antenna on the way to QZ Sunday I went shopping for a used reflector dish to get back on line. Couldn't find a dish at a price that seemed reasonable so I bought a used MotoSat receiver and controller to use with my Directway/Hughes modem - and so did Terry Brewer!  :D

This is a true display of optimism! We come home with used equipment, no manuals, and no installation support.

What today ended up being was a true example of the power of this group. We got back to the Forum site shortly before noon and by four o'clock the Cousins system is up and running and the Brewers' is on the roof ready for installation tommorrow. (Terry decided to practice on mine ;D ;D) And he even let me drill some of the holes! :D

Many thanks to Jim, Don, Fred and the rest who helped manhandle the units to the roofs and to Ned and Russ for the tech support.

No matter what the challenge this group is up to it!

The blue light looks great!

Thanks Terry.

Where did you buy the used Motosat Jeff? Care to share the price?

Tom:

I got mine from Satellite Advantage and Terry's came from DustyFoot. $2100 each not including a 7000 modem which I already had. I will be on Directway until our subscription expires next year,and then switch to Motosat. Terry upgraded his 6000 to a 7000 and is on Motosat now. (This means he can switch sats, I have to stay on 83W until next year. Or pay the cancellation fee to Hughes. System works great with my Hughes.

Jeff:

What happened to your old dish?

Is your new dish automatic or manual?

What will be the monthly cost when you go Motosat?

I am jealous of the blue light.  Still trying to figure out how to kludge a sexy blue light on a Hughes LOL!  ;D

I am following this with interest, and might do the same.  Was it a problem changing the mounting hardware?  Especially removing the old plate and patching old holes?

Smoky said:
Jeff:

What happened to your old dish?

Is your new dish automatic or manual?

What will be the monthly cost when you go Motosat?

I am jealous of the blue light.  Still trying to figure out how to kludge a sexy blue light on a Hughes LOL!  ;D

I am following this with interest, and might do the same.  Was it a problem changing the mounting hardware?  Especially removing the old plate and patching old holes?

Smoky:

My old dish slipped of the head of the pipe and departed the roof in the high wind on the way out from Happy Trails to QZ without me realizing it was gone. The first clue was the dent and scratches on the hood of the CRV when we got here. ;D ;D

Monday I went down tot he tent to try and find a used reflector and was not too successful but in the process talked to Paul from Satellite Advantage here in QZ and Phoenix and asked if he had a used MotoSat for sale. Turns out he did and we made a deal the next morning. Terry asked me to find out if he had another which he did not but Scott from Dusty Foot was standing there and did which Terry bought for the same price.

These are fully automatic MotoSat F1 receivers with D2 controllers (Current version is D3) which are [robably the most prevalent out there until everyone upgrades.

I am still using my Hughes 7000 modem and am still on my Hughes account at the 69.00/mo rate. When this contract expires I will probably switch to MotoSat which is 10.00/mo higher but allows you to switch Sats.

No more climbing on the roof!!! ;D ;D

Smoky:

It took the better part of an hour to pry the old mount off the roof, the thing was stuck on very well.

The MotoSat plate is wider and longer than the Neary mount so we plugged the holes with Dicor and installed the new plate over the entire area. It took far less time to put the new plate down than it did to remove the old and clean up the roof. Not a lot different than installing the original.

We had lots of help getting the units up on the roof, they weigh 100-110 pounds.

If/when I remove my 'Neary mount' I'll use a wire saw used for cutting PVC pipe in tight locations. It's like a length of wire with a handle at each end and will saw through whatever caulk is under the base plate of the mount without damaging the roof. Cleanup will still be required.

Tom said:
If/when I remove my 'Neary mount' I'll use a wire saw used for cutting PVC pipe in tight locations. It's like a length of wire with a handle at each end and will saw through whatever caulk is under the base plate of the mount without damaging the roof. Cleanup will still be required.

Tom:

Where were you when we needed you? ;D ;D

LOL Jeff, I can't believe I'm teaching you and Terry a new trick.

Tom

>>LOL Jeff, I can't believe I'm teaching you and Terry a new trick.<<

My base was also fastened with eternabond tape...took two hrs to remove & clean....eternal is a proper name for that tape. I left it off on my new install.<G>

Terry A. Brewer said:
....eternal is a proper name for that tape.

LOL Terry, that's a good name for it. Now that I think of it, mine has eternal tape on it too  :(

Our new plates are held down with butylrate tape, #14 screws and sealed with Dicor.

I would dread removing my plate as it is held with that Marine sealant that bonds like steel.  Can't remember the name of it, but Ron Ruward will attest to how strong it is... and messy to apply as well.

I guess there is no way a new plate can be mounted over the old plate?  We do not need any access through our roof, as our cable runs down the ladder and into the coach from underneath the coach.  Our old plate is so well bonded to the coach, I am thinking it might serve as an excellent mount for a new plate.

Smoky said:
...it is held with that Marine sealant...

IIRC you used 7300 Smoky.

I guess there is no way a new plate can be mounted over the old plate?

The new 'plate' is a much longer sled and needs to sit 'flat' on the roof. Could you mount the sled in a different location, leaving the old plate in place?

Aaah yes, Tom it was indeed 7300.

I think there is another spot available further forward.  I sure do like the current spot though.  The whole question might be academic though, as the Admiral so far is nixing any thoughts of blue lights.  :-\

Well if anyone changes their mind Paul thought he could put together two more systems at that price. You just nned lots of hwlp getting them up on the roof and someone around familiar with MotoSat's controller software.

Jeff Cousins said:
Well if anyone changes their mind Paul thought he could put together two more systems at that price. You just nned lots of hwlp getting them up on the roof and someone around familiar with MotoSat's controller software.

I'm not tellling Mike !!!!

Jeff,

Do you have a phone number for Satellite Advantage?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom