a/c power questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goofyyno

Hi,
I just bought a TT (Riverside Retro 177) which I?m pulling with a Toyota, FJ. The salesman said a 2000 watt Yamaha inverter would run the a/c, even in az in the summer.  Wrong- It?s not even hot yet and the a/c unit keep kicking off.  I am planning on getting another one to run  in parallel (seems easier  and quieter than getting a big unit to lug around)
Question 1) is this the best way?

Second,  I?m using my TT at people?s homes like an office, so wait time for cooling not ideal.(esp when it?s 115)  My FJ is not a pick up so could I run the generators while driving if I put up some sore of barrier to keep the exhaust going out the back.  (plastic liner or hose? )  or is there some other way.  There is a 110 Volt outlet in the back but only draw 100-400 watts. (any way to use this feature?)

Thanks in advances for helping a NEWBIE.

First: Many people do parallel two Inverter Generators but make sure at least one of them is specifically designed to do that.  There are 3 types of inverters, of which only one senses phase on start up so it locks in and works in tandem,  Paralling the wrong kind of inverter can result is magic smoke release and then they do not work.

I do not know the Yahama line but Honda makes one specifically designed to be parallelled with another of it's kind,, The difference, electronically, there is none.. the "Companion" has a 30 amp outlet and a 20 amp outlet,  the regular only has 20's. that's the difference, the heavy duty outlet and matching breaker.

As for running the Genny when towing... I think I'd try to find a way to mount the generator OUTSIDE the FJ.  I can think of several ways this might be done but it depends on the FJ and the trailer.. I have run a generator inside a station wagon, with windows open, and humans absent (I was in the restaurant eating breakfast, battery on car was dead due to alternator issues)  Once I finished breakfast I went back to my car, killed genny, (Leaving vent windows open, very hard to B&E via those rear windows (Lumina APV mini van) then to wife's car, Fired it up and drove across street to Pep Boys, who put in a new alternator,  Twice, (long story) then walk back to my now well aired out car for the drive home.

You will note that with Generator running... No humans (or animals of any kind save insects) in car, insects I was not worried about.

The are made to run together, just like the hondas. (they sell the parallel adaptor kit).  It seems like I'd get more quieter power for less money getting a second 2000 vs getting one bigger unit, or am I mistaken?
Ok, so no generator in the truck. I will have to look for a economical way to add a rack. (or attach to the roof rack on the FJ)  But two generators should work, right?

Question 1) Yes.  I run 2 Honda 2000w Gens in parallel.  I like having 2 small portable gens better than 1 large unit as the smaller units come in handy for other tasks.  This setup runs the A/C perfectly.  When the compressor cycles on you will notice the gens rpm rise and then level off.  I also purchased this extended run gas tank so I would not have to refill the gens at night.  I believe the tank will also work with the companion Yamahas.

http://www.wisesales.com/generators-1/yamaha-generators/yamaha-generator-accessories/extended-run-tanks.html

I would look at making a mount on the trailer. 

Either on the tongue (not likely room), or on the back bumper. 

Have it where you can secure them and remove them as needed for other tasks.   

I have to assume from what you have said here that your gen is not a Honda. Not all 2000 watt generators put out 2000 watts. Some of the China made gen put out more in the range of 1500 to 1700 watts but call the generator a 2000 watt. I know this for a fact cause I owned one and did all the output test using amp meter on the output. I have a 3000 watt that I was trying to run an AC with. This could be why you could not run the AC. A small AC unit with a quick start Cap on it should draw around 10 to 14 amps on start up. You have other loads on such as batt charger fridge and such. If you are getting the full 2000 watts that would be 16.3 amps so you see how close to max this is.  On a good day you may have been able to run the thing with a 2000 so the salesman did not completely BS just close. I have ran my AC with one Honda 2000 but I use 2 Honda 2000 in parallel. With one it tripped on start up a couple of times.

Even HOnda's 2,000 watt units are 2,000 PEAK, I forget what the continous duty is but I am thinking 1600 or 1760 (not sure which).  Yahama uses to make a 2400.. 2000 continous,, Which is one of the reasons I like Yahama better.

I have seen one generator that was properly, by my standards, labeled,,, I used to have a little enclosed "Traditional" Generator labeled Genrac,  I think it was a Black & Decker though Im not sure, it clamed to be a 1000 and actually delivered 1000+ on continuous load.

I did a bit of arithmetic with my Prosine 2.0 inverter yesterday.. I was pulling 2,040 watts off it at the time.  No complaints and the batteries held up too. (I am very happy about that) power here is .. anemic at the moment.. I have the AC on, the converter and thats it, everything else is runing off 12 volts,, I had to take the converter out of boost mode by force (Thanks heaven for the charge wizard's button) in order to get the breaker to hold,, EVEN THE FRIDGE is on propane (Will switch back to AC after sundown.. THe TVs and assosicated stuff, this computer and all it's accessories all run on battery power via the inverter... Found out new TV is 2 amps less hungry than old one (Based on Prosines display..  Batteries re-charge between meals it seems.

Back
Top Bottom