A/C trips circuit Breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lew I

I have a 2008 Salem with a Dometic roof air conditioner that trips the A/C circuit breaker when it's hot outside. My camper is 50 amp in a park with 30 amp service. I have a reducer in line with the main electrical plug. The A/C works for a while then trips the circuit breaker. Only when it is very hot outside from 1-6pm. I wait a few minutes before resetting it and turning the A/C back on. It works for a short period and then I can hear the compressor or motor laboring before it trips again. I already replaced the circuit breaker. Someone mentioned that it could be the capacitor. In reading up on it, it sounds like there are 2 types, a start and run capacitor. Are they the same, both in one housing, or are they different? Could this be whats causing the issue?

Mine was doing it when it was hot out. Well I put on a new Start cap and a hard start cap as well

now it trips long about midnight at 60 something out.  Will be doing more investigation soon.

Don't know if this has anything to do with your issue but have you checked the CG voltage at the pedestal?

How many Air Conditioners are you running?

I think Rene got it. Low voltage coming from the pedestal, caused by everyone using the A/C.

ChasA said:
I think Rene got it. Low voltage coming from the pedestal, caused by everyone using the A/C.

That's why I use a Hughes Autoformer at the one park we frequent where this issue occurs.  On the RV side of the autoformer the voltage stays at ~115 so the A/C doesn't bog down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom