A few newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanczak

1. When our refrigerator/freezer is not plugged in then it runs on LP. My question is how long does the normal LP tank run the fridge? We are going to Florida and will be driving the RV but staying at a resort so I am wondering if it would last a week or two?

2. I did read some of the posts on here about child restraint in the motor home. Does the 17 and 14 year old need to wear seat belts on the sofa? Does anyone allow younger children (3yr) to sleep in the bed, (which means no restraints for that time) while driving? It will be about 1200 mile ride. I am still unclear about what the law is on this? I was hoping to leave in the night and let them all sleep for several hours?

3. Getting ready to figure out the whole bathroom thing. If we use the bathroom just for urinating on the way down, will we need to empty the waste tank before parking it at the resort for 2 weeks?

How large is the fridge and how large is the LP tank?  I'm fairly sure a month or more isn't uncommon, I think furnaces, stoves and ovens are the big propane consumers so how long depends on a lot of other factors..

As far as the bathroom, I don't see any reason to empty the waste tank before parking at the resort for two weeks..  However you may need to empty the tanks during that two week period, depending on how large they are and how much they are used.  We just use ours at night, and use the campground facilities if they are present.

I will have my husband check the sizes on the tank and fridge. I was just wondering if it was going to eat a tank every day or two. I am worried that leaving the waste tank with anything in it will cause a sink  :) It has been 30 years since I have been in a RV and I can remember some stinky bathrooms.

1 - If the only thing you are running on propane is the refer then it will go several months on a tank.

2 - Seat belt laws vary from state to state:

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

3 - Yes you will need to dump the tanks before a two week stay. Use lots of water and there will be no odor.

SeilerBird said:
3 - Yes you will need to dump the tanks before a two week stay. Use lots of water and there will be no odor.
I think she was talking about possibly using it in transit, if one or two people have urinated I wouldn't think dumping the tank is necessary.

stanczak said:
I will have my husband check the sizes on the tank and fridge. I was just wondering if it was going to eat a tank every day or two. I am worried that leaving the waste tank with anything in it will cause a sink  :) It has been 30 years since I have been in a RV and I can remember some stinky bathrooms.
I'm fairly sure leaving the fridge on will not be a problem.  You'd probably have to have a huge fridge and tiny propane cylinder/tank for that to be a problem.

As far as stinky, the only connection to the black water tank should be your toilet.  And it has a valve that's normally closed unless you're flushing, unless that's not sealing properly you shouldn't have a problem with stinky bathroom.  Also people usually recommend flushing with 'ample' water, although that may apply a bit less for urine only.  You can make sure your toilet valve is closing/sealing properly by pouring some water in.  I think it's usually recommended that you keep some water in the bowl anyway.

SeilerBird said:
1 - If the only thing you are running on propane is the refer then it will go several months on a tank.

2 - Seat belt laws vary from state to state:

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/seatbelt_laws.html

Wow! small world, are you the seilerbird that was at DisneyWorld not long ago? I am the person who recommended you go to AKL resort, myjourney  :) Hope you had a great time.

My nominally 30 gallon propane tank is connected to the stove top and the refer. We spend 7 winter months per year in our RV,  cooking and eating in for most meals. We filled the propane tank in December 2010. It is now still over 2/3 full after driving a little over 16,000 miles with the refer running on propane. You'll be ok for a week or two.

Ken

braindead said:
I think she was talking about possibly using it in transit, if one or two people have urinated I wouldn't think dumping the tank is necessary.
The way I read it there is four of them and they will be boondocking for two weeks after they arrive. So I would think if that assumption is correct they will need to dump. But we really need more information to answer the question properly.

SeilerBird said:
The way I read it there is four of them and they will be boondocking for two weeks after they arrive. So I would think if that assumption is correct they will need to dump. But we really need more information to answer the question properly.

No we are driving it to Disney, then staying in a resort. I was just wondering if I needed to empty the fridge out while it is parked.

With the fridge, just take the same precuations you would for your home fridge when leaving for a vacation and remove anything that would spoil while you are gone - milk, meat, etc. We often leave our TT plugged in at home and keep the fridge on at home between trips with condiments, beer/soda, butter, etc.

OK, using the RV for transportation and parking it, not at an RV resort with hookups, but just parked at a parking lot while staying at a stick and brick resort.

You probably don't have enough battery to keep the 12v side of the RV running for 2 weeks, even though you are using propane for the actual cooling. The refer will stop when the battery goes dead and anything inside will spoil.

Depending on how much is in the black holding tank, whether it seals well or not, how hot the weather is, and whether you use a holding tank additive, you may get some smell after 2 weeks if it's not drained.

ken

If you're going to run the fridge while the rig is parked, make sure the RV is parked level.

Absorption refrigerators must be level to work properly.  Being level isn't a factor while you're driving, because the motion keeps the refrigerant circulating.  But when you're stopped the fridge has to be level or you could come back to a real mess.

bucks2 said:
OK, using the RV for transportation and parking it, not at an RV resort with hookups, but just parked at a parking lot while staying at a stick and brick resort.

You probably don't have enough battery to keep the 12v side of the RV running for 2 weeks, even though you are using propane for the actual cooling. The refer will stop when the battery goes dead and anything inside will spoil.

Depending on how much is in the black holding tank, whether it seals well or not, how hot the weather is, and whether you use a holding tank additive, you may get some smell after 2 weeks if it's not drained.

ken

OK so even if it is running on LP it is still using battery?

Yes it is still using battery. If this is your plan, I would go to the rv every couple days and run the genset for a couple of hours to charge the battery.

Back
Top Bottom