"A foggy day, in London Town..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
During the last 6 months, I've had 3 double-pane windows develop fog/moisture to varying extent, but only on the passenger side. They have not been subjected to extreme heat but are, without exception, the windows I open to let in fresh air. The only one (save the passenger side cockpit window and one that is never opened) are affected. None of the drivers' side have this problem.

Question 1 - why only one side?
Question 2 - why only the ones I open/close on a regular basis?
Question 3 - Can they be saved, or is replacement the only option?

More info: It's 10 years old, some of the windows (two of them) slide up/down; the other side-to-side, no OEM window tinting, it's been an unusually rainy spring... I don't know what else I can say.

Any thoughts/solutions?   

Added: No, they are not binding in any way; they move freely in the frames.

Karl:

You mentioned no OEM tinting but have you added any film?

Karl,

Is there any moisture inside the dual panes?? Sounds like you might have lost the seal. Being on only one side could be attributed to the use they get compared to the others. If the seal isn't broken then perhaps they aren 't sealing against the weather stripping as tightly as they did originally.

Karl:

Question #1      Probably only a coincidence.

Question #2      They have lost their seal and it could have been accelerated by the movement and banging against the stop when you close them.

Question #3      Only replacement will solve this problem.

Thanks all,

I figured replacement would be the only option :'(

Ron,
They have lost their seal and it could have been accelerated by the movement and banging against the stop when you close them.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. The seals are probably brittle from age and sun, and a little bump and grind is all it takes to let them seep in moisture. I'm going to take one of them out, lay on a black surface in the sun, and see if that will evaporate the moisture out; then run a bead of clear silicone all around. I'll let you know if it's successful. It would be better to do this in AZ's low humidity, but I'll give it a shot here and hope for the best. Right now it's clear moisture; not milky. so it should dry out fairly clear - I hope!

Back
Top Bottom