A man, a rope, two stakes, a hotdog, and an 800 lb shed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

How does a man with noone to help them load a 800lb shed with almost no effort.  Engineering is the key, i learned a long time ago (the hard way) if there is going to be force (energy) then let it work for you not against you, because you wont win that battle, it can be your enemy but it can also be your friend. 

So i had to move my 800lb shed to the new place and of course when i need help there is never anyone around (story of my life) lol  So i started thinking about this two months ago and pretty quickly had it figured out in my head.  I am no engineer by far but i know energy has to go somewhere.  My dad didnt believe it would work but i loaded my shed by myself (well a small final 1ft  push using my next door neighbors son), but that was after it was loaded. 

I also delivered to the new place perfectly and unloaded it very similarly.  I loaded it ontop of 2x4's so it would slide off easy and not get hungup on the truck bed.  i had a rope tied to it up over the top of my truck with alittle slack in it, just enough slack that it would slide off the truck. then once it was on the ground i put alittle more slack in it (the front end of the rope was tied to my bullbar with is round, that came in handy).,  A little more slack and i was able to tilt it back onto the concret pad enough that it would stay tilted.  Then i went up to the front end and untied it and let it slide (unwind like a winch) and just lowered it right onto the pad.... :)

So all i had was me, two stakes, a rope, and a hotdog... how did i do it????

Well first i ate the hotdog so i could put the one stake in the ground, the other rear stake was already there.  I actually didnt even think i would need the rear stake but it did come in handy. 

I do have pics but i thought a nice drawing would be cool lol  Im sure engineers have professional name for this rig up but i dont know it, if you know what this is called please share... :)

I took it real slow alittle bit at a time, i figured it would either break the rope, break my tailgate or it would load the shed, i only push hard enough with my truck to get it to move the way i wanted it too, right up into the truck perfectly :)  whooo hoooo

see pic

Attachments

• onemanshedload.jpg
    onemanshedload.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 153
I didn't see the hot dog in the picture so I just had to imagine the first step in my head.
On an unrelated note, that's a might good looking truck you've got.

I love that truck.  But that front tire looks like it needs a balance job!!  Seriously, good work.  Once you have it all drawn out and done, it looks like simple logic.  But I've found that many things that are simple after you've done them, were a pain in the a$$ to think through.

I have done something similar loading and unloading a 35KW diesel generator onto and off of a utility trailer.

HueyPilotVN said:
Like this...

Thats cool, sorry for the late reply but i didnt know there were pics there.  very cool

RVMommaTo6 said:
I didn't see the hot dog in the picture so I just had to imagine the first step in my head.
On an unrelated note, that's a might good looking truck you've got.

Yeah sorry i dont share my hotdogs... lol 

Yeah that truck is nice and airy, abit drafty though :)

Truck kinda looks like an old Jeep FC model.  My dad had one when I was a kid.  Hard to find now and all either rusted to nothing or selling for about the cost of a Prevost.

And you didn't put a crease in the truck roof or crack the windshield?  Amazing!  I never hated a vehicle so much that I would do that.

lynnmor said:
And you didn't put a crease in the truck roof or crack the windshield?  Amazing!  I never hated a vehicle so much that I would do that.

Actually at first i forgot to put padding and the rope bent my bug deflector on the front (its plastic so i went right back to shape) but i had to stop and make a wood widget to stick on my front bumper to hold the rope up off my hood.  Then the roof i put an old jacket i had  as i too was afraid i would break the windshield...  i got lucky... it all came out great.

jackiemac said:
Is that you holding the hot dog in your hand in the 2nd drawing?  ;)

NO thats my sorry attempt to draw a thumbs up while starting a sugar low, i had the shakes....  :)

Dont know if you ladies know it but i pick up alot of chicks in that truck, its a chick mobile! 

Wrong.
Topic: A man, a rope, two stakes, a hotdog, and an 800 lb shed should read:
"Topic: A man, a rope, two stakes, a hotdog, a truck, and an 800 lb shed "

Old_Crow said:
Truck kinda looks like an old Jeep FC model.  My dad had one when I was a kid.  Hard to find now and all either rusted to nothing or selling for about the cost of a Prevost.

Many years ago I had two of them given to me just for hauling them off. Looked at them and thought who would want one of those?  Another big mistake, like the time I sole that 1945 Harley 45 cu/in with reverse for $75.......

catblaster said:
  Many years ago I had two of them given to me just for hauling them off. Looked at them and thought who would want one of those?  Another big mistake, like the time I sole that 1945 Harley 45 cu/in with reverse for $75.......

Yeah, or the '68 Road Runner I hauled off to the junk yard because it pissed me off once too often. 

What I'd really like to find now is a decent old Willys wagon for a price I could afford.  I'd swap it over onto the chassis of the TJ I now have. 
That'd make an awesome toad. 
I was told I made my first road trip as a child(at age 1)in a brand new '52 Willys wagon.

A couple years ago I put WAY too much weight on a little trailer I have and bent the frame. I used my F-150, my Jeep and a tree to "unbend" it back to straight. Afterwards I wished I had my wife take pictures or video of the process. I can only guess the reason I didn't have her do that was incase it was a total failure I didn't want it recorded.  After I was done I was very surprised with how easy it was (hind-sight of course).

Back
Top Bottom