A possible solution to helping the homeless needy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SeilerBird said:
That's not going to work. The homeless can't buy drugs with a smartphone.
Oh yes they can, Venmo.  Transfers money easily.  My college kids use it all the time to pay one another for their part of expenses, etc. 

Watch the video the funds you place are restricted as to what the homeless can use it for.
Can use for food, shelter etc
For those who choose not to listen or watch the video but comment anyway. The homeless have one of those QR codes for cell phones. You scan the code and decide how much you want to contribute to the fund. The funds can be used for certain things. The homeless needy cannot get access WITHOUT their caseworker approving the expenditure. You also get a small biography of the recipient and can contribute to specific needs for the person such as rent, food etc.

darsben said:
Watch the video the funds you place are restricted as to what the homeless can use it for.
For those who choose not to listen or watch the video but comment anyway. The homeless have one of those QR codes for cell phones. You scan the code and decide how much you want to contribute to the fund. The funds can be used for certain things. The homeless needy cannot get access WITHOUT their caseworker approving the expenditure. You also get a small biography of the recipient and can contribute to specific needs for the person such as rent, food etc.

I did watch the video and while I don't know how I feel about the program overall, I do agree with the one commenter who said that it's a way to at least know whether the person you are trying to help is actually in need and not merely playing on people's sympathies. 

I think I would feel better about donating directly to the needy (my preferred way of helping) under these circumstances. 

darsben said:

Unbelievable, they don't have a pot to pee in but they have cell phones.

Rene T said:
Most of the people you see panhandling on the streets is not a homeless person, but a scammer. It is easy to tell if the person who approaches you is a legit homeless person or not. Just inhale. Real homeless people rarely shower and they stay in the same clothes all the time. So therefore you can smell them from five feet away. I used to work with these people and the real ones are pretty obvious. Yes the scammers have cell phones and they make a lot more money than you would ever imagine.

Rene T said:

The homeless don't have a cell phone, they have a QR card that you and I can scan with our cell phones.

SeilerBird said:
I don't want to watch the video.
Then why comment on a thread that you have not bothered to do any research into?
Seems like you are just trying to hijack the thread.
I do not mind if you disagree after SOME THOUGHT but to comment with stuff that is not on point is bad for an intelligent discussion of the topic.
Besides not watching the video you apparently did not read the synopsis I wrote either.

darsben said:
Ok I just watched the video and read your post. That did not change my mind at all. I still think it is a stupid idea and I still hate the homeless and the scammers. It is very easy to get a job for these people. Why don't they do that instead of begging for money? There are many corners in my town that have sign twirlers standing there all day long. I have heard it pays $10 an hour. Or just about anyone can get a job at a carwash, McDonalds or as a Walmart greeter. But why don't they get a job? I cuts into the time they spend being drunk or stoned. If you think these people are so deserving you should get to know a few of them. Take one out to lunch.

SeilerBird said:
Ok I just watched the video and read your post. That did not change my mind at all. I still think it is a stupid idea and I still hate the homeless and the scammers. It is very easy to get a job for these people. Why don't they do that instead of begging for money? There are many corners in my town that have sign twirlers standing there all day long. I have heard it pays $10 an hour. Or just about anyone can get a job at a carwash, McDonalds or as a Walmart greeter. But why don't they get a job? I cuts into the time they spend being drunk or stoned. If you think these people are so deserving you should get to know a few of them. Take one out to lunch.
As I have said before. I do help the homeless and have seen many older homeless AMERICAN CITIZENS living in their cars. I carry care packages of food to distribute to them. Some homeless cannot hold jobs because of mental problems, disabilities and or age so to paint them all with your broad brush does all lot of people a disservice
Since you watched the video and still disagree I can respect your opinion.

darsben said:
Some homeless cannot hold jobs because of mental problems, disabilities and or age so to paint them all with your broad brush does all lot of people a disservice.
Mental problems, disability or old age is no excuse for ending up homeless. Drug and alcohol abuse are the reasons almost every one of them is homeless. The homeless are the ones doing the disservice. Giving them money is not helping them, it is making the homeless problem worse. You are encouraging them not to work. If every one stopped giving them money they would have to go to work.

SeilerBird said:
Mental problems, disability or old age is no excuse for ending up homeless. Drug and alcohol abuse are the reasons almost every one of them is homeless. The homeless are the ones doing the disservice.
Okay I will help a few more homeless to take up the slack for those who won't/don't.
I have been blessed many times over and I will help others to the best of my ability.
If they are scammers that is on them not me.

I'm wondering how many followed the link. I thought the wording was "Strange"

The plan is to give the homeless what amounts to an ID card with a QR code.

So YOU the Rich person can scan the card with your Smart phone and give 'em a few dollars.

In short Beggers.  All the homeless person needs is a bank account or a "Cash Card" like some folks use for Social Security ... They do not need pass an actual "hat" and collect real money.

On paper it looks good but. frankly.. Not convinced it will work

darsben said:
Okay I will help a few more homeless to take up the slack for those who won't/don't.
I have been blessed many times over and I will help others to the best of my ability.
If they are scammers that is on them not me.

It is wonderful that you feel blessed enough to want to help those less fortunate and that you do, directly. 

While I long ago became frustrated with the scammers, I am sad about it because there are genuinely needy people out there whom I would like to give a little help to when I can.  But it's become too difficult to weed them out from the scammers.

Maybe this pilot program will work, maybe it won't.  The creator is trying, at least, to find a way to help needy people pick themselves up without aiding in the scammer/drug & alcohol epidemic. 

Rene T said:

YEP, you should see the school system.  1/2 the kids get free breakfast and lunch, most the kids have iPhones.  My kids always told me they were the minority because they had Android phones in middle school.

I prefer to help out in shelters, Food banks, and Delivery programs for the needy.  We all need to help, I just don't think $$ is the answer.  They might be only allowed to buy certain things, but I guarantee there is barter and exchange system. 

edit: so I did just watch the video, or a good part of it.  So, here in a America we have this awesome system called welfare, and food stamps, that are handed out to verified individuals.  So is this Qcode system just a little on top of that? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom