a quartet of butterfly pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougJ

Not long ago a few pics of Niagara Falls were posted--was it Smoky that had been there with his new camera.

Well, we were there in May and I didn't take any pics of the Falls, but I did take some of the butterflies in a a butterfly conservatory.  I finally got around to processing four of the those pics (7X5 and 6X6) for framing and thought some of you might be interested in the small JPEG versions.

Ciao,

Doug

Attachments

• Butterflies feeding.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    Butterflies feeding.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 111
  • butterflies&Fruit.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    butterflies&Fruit.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 90
  • butterfly on leaf.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    butterfly on leaf.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 82
  • butterfly on leaves.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    butterfly on leaves.gallery.F (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the feedback, lady and gentlemen.

As you probably realise, that is not how they came out of the camera; truth is I get a great kick out of playing in the digital lab.

Ciao,

Doug

PS:  Bob, I hope your wife enjoys them as well.

Doug,

Those are some neat shots. Regardless of whether they came out of the camera that way, you got the essentials needed to make great photos. Someday I need you to give me some lessons!!! :)

I'm totally facinated with the shots.  Just don't know what to say  Wow  I guess

Wow Doug, great pictures!!

What kind of camera?  And what software to add the frames and titles, great effect!

Howard

Doug,
When others selected a favorite,  I reviewed  your photos and tried to pick a favorite, but they are all my favorite.  Captivating subjects!

Betty

Nice shots Doug.  I have never had good luck with butterflies, but with my 180 macro, that should change.  I just need to get finished with all the projects and get into the field.

Ron

What kind of camera?  And what software to add the frames and titles, great effect!

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we've been away at a hot springs for a family reunion and I didn't take any technology with me (other than the camera :)).

Howard, Smoky got the data right--guess he's mastered reading the file info ;D.

I do all of my post-processing in PS-CS1 with a few add-ins.  The framing is done manually in CS1, although I do believe I could write an action to do it.  But, I'm lazy and it doesn't take long to frame them and enter a title.

I don't like to share any pic electronically that hasn't been processed and framed.  Often times, the simple act of framing pushes an adequate image into the domain of the good.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback.  But please note, when I look back at my "original images" folder I find forty butterfly images left after I deleted the others (don't remember how many)--the deleted one are those that I figured I simply couldn't rescue into a printable image.  Of those forty, the four I posted come from a total of six originals that I think are the best of the lot.  Of course I save all forty for I never know when a moment of inspiration would come along and suddenly I see the old butterfly landscape with new eyes (to paraphrase Proust).

And finally, a reply to Ron.  Thanks for your positive feedback.  What you are seeing is not from a macro, but is a crop of a pic taken with my Nikon CooPix 8800--details as posted by Smoky.  Use of the macro capability would have required a tripod and a set up that I think is too obtrusive for a public place.  Instead, as steady a hand as you can muster with Nikon's image stabilising function turned on.

As for the projects, get someone else to do them.  I can't remember the quote exactly, but it's something to the effect that life grinds you down and art reminds you that you have a soul.

Ciao to all,

Doug

Doug,

I was away and limited to an occasional and very slow connection when you posted those framed photos. I made a conscious decision not to attempt to download any photos at that time, so I missed what folks marvelled at. Now I understand. Thanks.

Hope you don't mind me moving this topic here to the Photo & Imaging board.

Hope you don't mind me moving this topic here to the Photo & Imaging board.

No problem, Tom; you know better than I just where a given topic is best placed.

Ciao,

Doug

Can I show my fly? Oh that came out so small here is a link to the bigger one.
http://picasaweb.google.com/winghawg1/AnimalS/photo#4985737963401183250

Kelly

Attachments

• Flysmall.jpg
    Flysmall.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back