A sleep apnea alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had not heard of this but I think I'll stick with my CPAP machine.

Tom,
I dealt with Sleep Apnea for a long time.  I tried the "mouthpiece" alternative and had some (read that "little") improvement.  CPAP helped more.  Surgery was a dramatic and immediate relief.  I guess it depends on how severe the condition is.  Good luck.

Jim Sullivan

The hardest thing about sleep apnea is getting used to wearing the mask.  After that, it makes everything else so much better.

If you have a chronic sinus condition along with sleep apnea, as I do, the oral devices don't work too well.

Any time I lie down, my sinuses close up and I'm forced to breath through my mouth.  The CPAP pressure keeps the sinuses open, the mouth stays closed, and I breathe and sleep just fine.

I used to require an antihistamine, and maybe a decongestant, to keep the head clear so that I could sleep, but the pressure applied by the cpap machine seems to suppress the urge to sneeze and sinus drainage.

Colds and allergies can be rough on a cpap user.

Exactly the problem I have and a CPAP works wonders for me, guess I am lucky as I sleep strictly on my back and the mask does not bother me.  WOW what a restful nights sleep I get with my CPAP.

Just Lou said:
If you have a chronic sinus condition along with sleep apnea, as I do, the oral devices don't work too well.

Any time I lie down, my sinuses close up and I'm forced to breath through my mouth.  The CPAP pressure keeps the sinuses open, the mouth stays closed, and I breathe and sleep just fine.

I used to require an antihistamine, and maybe a decongestant, to keep the head clear so that I could sleep, but the pressure applied by the cpap machine seems to suppress the urge to sneeze and sinus drainage.

Colds and allergies can be rough on a cpap user.

I went on CPAP in '95 and it is the a major part of why I am here to type this today. The easiest thing about using CPAP today is the newer machines are quiet when linked with a comfortable delivery system. Here's what I have used since 2004: http://tinyurl.com/8rswrm

It immediately gave me a feeling of freedom and openness no mask had ever achieved and I have been on CPAP since '95. However, it is on one side of the head and the strap to keep it next to the top of the head was a bother, esp when I would turn over to that side. I use all 3 positions every night. I started experimenting almost immediately.

My solutions are these:
At home:

I designed a swing out/back15" bar that looks sorta like this I-----------------------O[/size]
                                                                                                                        S
It is mounted on the wall with a finished wood face with a shelf and a sleeve in the the shelf to allow swinging the bar out an back. I also took a 1.5" S hook, inserted the top of the S into the 2" "O" and closed the top so it would not fall off. I insert the hose through it and when out it drops down about where my head is in any of the 3 positions and is never in my way or under my cheek. When I get up in the morning I hang the straps on the S hook and swing it back. With our sleep number bed at home I rarely wake up before I planned.

Travel without the RV

A small pull along with extending handle "T" goes as medical device equipment for free in the cabin on most planes. In it I have:
A complete CPAP system
A surge protector with 6 outlets and a 5' heavy power cord
3+ months of all my medications and supplements
A heavy wt zippered clear flexible plastic bag with duplicate connectors, an adjustable, over the top of a cubical panel "J" type hanger [adjusts with a dime,] an over the door hanger with a wide hanger on the bottom, two 6' flexible hose extensions. With these options I can sometimes use the cord with the cubical hook over the head board, or the over the door hook on a picture frame or high on a close curtain rod to raise the final hose and mustache nasal pillows into a position so that I have freedom of movement.

Last Fri, I took all of this to the hospital as I might have had to stay for 24 hrs. They didn't have any 3 years ago as they only had 3 for the whole hospital. Leota went back to Bel?n and put it all together and brought it back up to UNMH for me.

Travel with the RV

The same as without the RV above. I might have to suddenly fly somewhere for family or a disaster at home or in CA might happen where travel might not be possible for awhile. I take out what I need and I have convenient door handles above my bed to rig my delivery system, meds are in the bathroom and the small roll-on ends up in a bay or the bottom of the double closet.

I have never traveled and slept so well until I found mustache nasal pillows and came up with the drop down delivery system.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have to go for a sleep test. My snoring is REAL bad according to my wife.
She wears ear plugs to no avail. My sinus problem is getting real bad.. wake up and they are full.. usually up for and hour before they drain and I can sleep again...lucky to have another bed room to sleep in.. there I only bother the farrets lol

I wish I could use that alternative, have similar problem as Just Lou with a couple of added ones. Since my xplant the Doc's have put me on a Bipap/AVAPS. Loved the old Bipap but this new AVAPS is a pain, have to use a mask instead of nasal pillows.

I also use Cpap machine, have for sometime.....
Wearing the big face mask gives no problems for me....., my problems over the years have been sore throats caused by moisture level as well as Pressure settings. Once adjusted correctly, no problems.

But, it would be nice to have simpler solution.... So,

I went to site outlined by Tom and and my immediate thoughts moved towards how I was going to convince the wife to have that women move in....., silly me.

I hope someone with experience will speak up. Oh..., I mean with the Oral Appliance for sure.

Where the hell is my mind going lately? Sorry people....

I have allergy problems here in NM from juniper smoke that gets me congested. They love to burn this cheap, aromatic wood from the 1st cold snap until sometime in April. So I take Walgreen's Walatin D-24 [their generic Clereten?] every AM and before I go to bed I take 1 or 2 benedryl as needed. It works for me.  I use flutticasone nasal spray on rising and going to bed and my Netty pot when that fails. I have also found that Vicks or its generic substitute in the nostrils clears stubborn congestion out fast as well.

I'm not sure that I have sleep apnea.  My snoring does wake me occasionally.  I have used a "Pure Sleep" anti snore mouth guard.  It works well.

My old fishing camp buddies used to say that breathe right strips worked well to quiet my snoring. 
They would each take two strips, roll them up and stick them in their ears.

As much as I hate my CPAP some nights, I'll take it over the consequences of not using it and the more restful sleep I get using it.

The longest week of my life was one year ago when I went Elk Hunting with the FIL and we "dry camped" in my RV.

Oly

Just a comment from the other side of the bed. While it's definitely preferable to snoring and it does help other health problems, that CPAP machine is not without its own noise. And while I'm pleased that it's improved Mike's health, I do wish they'd invent a silent one.

Wendy

Wendy, evidently some are much quieter than others.  I have two machines, and one (the newer one) is very quiet.  I've not heard complaints from Ringo (or Jane) about either one.  Ocasionaly, my mask will slip loose from thrashing around and I get a sudden pain in my rib cage at about elbow height. :eek:  What's up with that ???

Mike's machine is quiet but it is not silent. And he's a mouth breather which sometimes for it's own noise. I'm sure he knows exactly what you're talking about with the elbow. He also gets an occasional pop in the chin. And then when Gordon joins in and starts snoring, well, forget it.

Wendy said:
Just a comment from the other side of the bed. While it's definitely preferable to snoring and it does help other health problems, that CPAP machine is not without its own noise. And while I'm pleased that it's improved Mike's health, I do wish they'd invent a silent one.

Wendy

Sometimes the noise helps the partner. My wife told me it sounded like a white noise machine.

Oly

Wendy,

A chin strap is available that will help to keep the mouth closed. It takes a bit to get used to it but it will work. If ones  mouth is dry in the morning it is a sign that you are breathing thru your mouth. The chin strap, when adjusted properly, will keep the mouth closed.

Back
Top Bottom