A song about our present plight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telemark46

I know this isn't a typical post, but I beg your forgiveness in advance.  There is a song about Scottish Travelers named "When the Yellow's on the Broom" about leaving winter quarters when the Scotch Broom blooms.  I wrote a parody about what the pandemic has done to our plans.  The lyrics are below, and there is a video on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnDYJ0KoFg

We planned a trip to Alaska, to visit Dan and Joyce,
Now Canada has closed the roads, they left us with no choice,
But to spend another month or two, in the living room,
For we can't go on the road again, when the yellows on the broom.

When the yellows on the broom,
We can't go on the road again,

We bought a fancy caravan, and a brand new pickup truck,
For our two month dream vacation but, now we're out of luck,
We're tired of social distancing, it seems to never end,
I wonder when it's over, if we will still be friends.

If we will still be friends,
If we will still be friends,
I wonder when it's over,
If we will still be friends.

We haven't seen our dancing friends for 6 or 7 weeks,
The future of our social life, is looking rather bleak,
We've all got cabin fever, it makes us want to scream,
but I'll tak ye on the road again, when they lift the quarantine.

When they lift the quarantine ,
When they lift the quarantine ,
I'll tak ye on the road again,
When they lift the quarantine .

Nearly a year on, and there seems little hope for our Alaska trip this year either. I am in favor of great precautions to minimize the spread of COVID, but I don't think we would be much of a threat to Canada, being fully vaccinated, willing to provide a negative test, and willing to avoid contact with Canadians except for buying fuel. My partner has given up on the trip, but I keep hoping that Canada will suddenly see the light. The current ban runs through 5/21, and I think we could leave as late as mid-June.

I don’t think there is any hope that Canada will open borders to US travelers before fall. They have been very slow at vaccinating their population, and at least two provinces have instituted “stay at home” orders again. The Canadians I know have totally stopped hoping for US trips this summer and are now just hoping the border opens before snowbird season. We had a 3-4 month 2020 Canada/Alaska trip planned too. Now thinking 2023 because we are afraid 2022 will be too crowded.

Apologies, I only just listened to your song. A belated thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it, although the duet parts sounded a little better than the solos :)

Apologies, I only just listened to your song. A belated thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it, although the duet parts sounded a little better than the solos :)
Ouch! I didn't want to hear the truth. I've written other songs that also would have gone over better with a better voice delivering them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom