A Water Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

Another "obvious" question ...

When hooked up to city water at an RV park, is that the water coming out of the tap? Or does it go into the holding tank as it empties? Just curious. Thanks -

In almost all cases, when you're hooked up to city water the water will essentially bypass your fresh water tank.

chaajoad said:
Another "obvious" question ...

When hooked up to city water at an RV park, is that the water coming out of the tap? Or does it go into the holding tank as it empties? Just curious. Thanks -

Depends, if you have set the "Quick Fill" or whatever it's called on your rig properly then what goes in the city water inlet comes out the faucet.  If you set it wrong the fresh tank may well overflow (Assuming you have a quick-fill valve) since there is not normally a cut off over there.

Both the city water inlet and the fresh water pump on your rig have check valves.  The idea is that if you have city water it is primary and your water pump need not even be turned on (Mine is off just now) but if you do not have city water you turn on the pump and pump from storage

Guys

Can I throw a question in here also please :-

When you fill your fresh holding tank thru the city water inlet, I understand it passes thru the coach filter before hitting the holding tank? - but, if you fill using the gravity fill "hole" in the side of the RV, does that also get filtered going into the tank or is it filtered coming out to the taps (faucets).

Oh, and another one :- I want to clean our holding tank, but the guide tells me to first empty the tank (tank drain lever) and fill with water/bleach solution and drive for 4hrs and then drain again and keep flushing.

Well, where the heck are you supposed to be draining all this water? - as most CGs won't (or can't) let you wash your coach, I assume they also wouldnt want a few hundred gallons of water poured around the site either. I don't think stopping at a drain is an option as you are still dumping the bleach chemical with the water (plus the fact that everyone will assume you're dumping your black etc). The other suggestion given to me was to drive down the road with the fresh water drain open (similar problem in that people will assume its black or grey tank) - so where should it be done ?

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I got into a situation where I filled at a campground that had 'questionable' water and I had to flush my tank a couple of times.

I put good supply of bleach and filled the tank.

I don't know about your drain point on the tank but in my case is got the sewer hose proped up under where the water was coming out, without it actually touching the RV. I used a couple of rocks and boards to stabilize the sewer hose and drained two 100 gallon tank fulls. It took a while to do all this!

I would not see anything wrong about draining it on the road also. But not like a guy I know who put an electric valve on his grey water and when he was on a lonely section of highway he flipped the switch on his dash to open and drain the grey water!

UK-RV said:
Guys

Can I throw a question in here also please :-

When you fill your fresh holding tank thru the city water inlet, I understand it passes thru the coach filter before hitting the holding tank? - but, if you fill using the gravity fill "hole" in the side of the RV, does that also get filtered going into the tank or is it filtered coming out to the taps (faucets).

Since my choach does not have a "Whole house" filter instealled, (I use an external filter) water in the gravity fill hole does indeed go through the filter.  However the answer to your question is no, there is no filter on that input,  Use an external

Oh, and another one :- I want to clean our holding tank, but the guide tells me to first empty the tank (tank drain lever) and fill with water/bleach solution and drive for 4hrs and then drain again and keep flushing.

Well, where the heck are you supposed to be draining all this water? -

I'm' not sure what you mean by holding tank... If you mean the fresh water tank, I have dumped that in a few different places, At home I have a well drained pad where I can dump it, nice deep gravel that drains well.  I've dumped it near the drain in a parking lot,  Fresh water you can dump most anywhere, no restrictions.

When we refer to holding tanks here in the US we are normally speaking of waste water tanks (Black/Gray) and those you dump only into a proper sewer system

That said, when I leave this CG it's time to bleach the fresh water system... So I'll be adding bleach before I leave and draining it on the pad at home

The gravity fill is most likely not filtered but the water goes directly into the tank.  We never fill with the gravity fill, and always use the city water connection which we have plumbed through a filter.

Back
Top Bottom