AARP - real benefit or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like many others, I could not find any discounts that would work for me where ever I was at the moment.  And I can almost always get a military discount that is the same as AARP.  And also like many others, the mailings were crazy.  I still get a couple now and then, mostly wanting me to rejoin.  Which I won't.  This is my experience.

Do you mean removed as a MEMBER, or removed from the random mailings you receive based on AARP using mail databases? 
Yes, I was a member for several years. I called enough times that I should have been removed. I'm glad you and several other forum members had a better experience.

They lost me when they sold out to an insurance company and the board turned hard left.  A parallel is the NAACP,, when it became the political arm of the Democratic party it ceased to be affective for people of color.>>>Dan

Dreamsend said:
This is not an issue with AARP alone nor does it reflect on what they do as an organization.  Buy a house, and you'll get dozens of offers for insurance, repair warranties; buy a car, tires, or a major appliance and you'll get the same.  Own a credit card? you'll get 3-4 offers a week from banks to get theirs.  Take out a loan and you'll get solicitations for credit insurance.  Have digital services (phone/TV) and you'll receive constant mailing from the competition AND from the service provider to update. Donate to a charity and again, you'll be inundated with requests from others most of the time. This is a JUNK MAIL sales issue, and sadly there isn't much to be done about it. Selling address databases is ubiquitous.  It's how businesses and not-for-profits all work these days.

Heck.
Just Change your address at the Post Office.
I'm STILL getting junk from doing that 3 years back.

camperAL said:
Hi,

There are other similar groups that offer discounts on various items, related to season citizens. One of these are AMAC (Association of Mature American Citizens) They also lobby for benefits and are a more conservitive group. You would have to go to these various groups and read what they have to offer then decide. Here is AMAC's: https://amac.us/

I will leave that one in the Round File, Thanks.

I'm also surprised at the number of people with AARP junkmail problems.  I probably get one mailed ad a week from AARP, which in my book is hardly noticeable.  Local car dealers do as much or more!  I suspect, though, if you drop your membership, they probably get aggressive trying to recruit you back.

Another for AMAC, good magazine, and anyplace that discounts for AARP gives discounts for AMAC.  We have great supplemental through them.  and as much as AARP lobbies for seniors, so des AMAC.  In the long run you are supporting a conservative group vs. a liberal group.  All those claiming a benefit from AARP would receive the same or more from AMAC.  Being a senior shouldn't be a political thing, but just about everything in life is, so, pick a team or don't.

Utclmjmpr said:
They lost me when they sold out to an insurance company and the board turned hard left.  A parallel is the NAACP,, when it became the political arm of the Democratic party it ceased to be affective for people of color.>>>Dan

Do you have any source to back up these comments?  I can't find any evidence that AARP is owned by an insurance company. 

We are seniors....We do not support/endorse (unless we are forced to through the laws of the federal government) those that support cases adverse to our Republic! We can’t save enough money to justify supporting them and their political bias!

Lets not drag this into a political argument lest it be locked.  I for one do belong to AARP, and AMAC. I find they both have their uses. I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

I don't support their other ideals, but that is my choice. If their rates were to jump, I would be gone as well. As long as there is a benefit for my family it's worth it. This topic is about does AARP have a value to the OP, lets leave it in that arena. 

SargeW said:
Lets not drag this into a political argument lest it be locked.  I for one do belong to AARP, and AMAC. I find they both have their uses. I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

I don't support their other ideals, but that is my choice. If their rates were to jump, I would be gone as well. As long as there is a benefit for my family it's worth it. This topic is about does AARP have a value to the OP, lets leave it in that arena.

:)) :))

AARP started out good.. but when they got Politically Involved in Endorsing Him & Her, This & T
hat.. they lost it. And Me.

JackL said:
My opinion:
A complete waste of money and I have never seen or heard of any good benefit they have done for seniors.
I have noticed that they push for certain candidates in elections that always seem to be the ones that I don't want.

jack L

Agree.  Their political slant is opposite mine.  Their discounts are the same as I get from every other affinity group I belong to, and I do not need their insurance.
I never joined or sent them any money.  Yet I get their magazine every month.

Wow i never expected this many replies, i guess i struck a nerve, sorry :) 

I have found over time that the best thing about the AARP mailings is that their blank envelopes make good scratch paper for grocery and lowes lists, other than that it all gets tossed.  So thanks AARP you did save me some money on notepad stock :) 

SargeW said:
I have been with the Hartford insurance program through AARP for the RV for several years, strictly based upon the cost of the policy, and yes I have shopped it out many times.

Same here. Save hundreds of dollars through AARP & Hartford for car and RV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom