About ready to jump in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icewater

Hello all. Very interesting and friendly forum. I have done lots of reading about and looking at different types of RVs. We will be vacationers first with an eye towards part timing in the near future. I was a hiker/backpacker in my younger days entire Appalachian Trail 1972 etc. Anyaway I am teetering on the edge of the purchase of a Winnebago Minnie model 31C 2005 with 7K miles on it from a private individual. Anyone care to give me a push one way or the other. Yea or nay. Any advice would be appreciated. ;D

icewater said:
Hello all. Very interesting and friendly forum. I have done lots of reading about and looking at different types of RVs. We will be vacationers first with an eye towards part timing in the near future. I was a hiker/backpacker in my younger days entire Appalachian Trail 1972 etc. Anyaway I am teetering on the edge of the purchase of a Winnebago Minnie model 31C 2005 with 7K miles on it from a private individual. Anyone care to give me a push one way or the other. Yea or nay. Any advice would be appreciated. ;D

I owned a 98 Tioga by Fleetwood, 29 footer. I lived in it full time for over 4 years. Earlier this year I moved to a 34 foot Class A.

In hindsight -- I would never buy a Class C over 24 foot in length again. Tho mine sat on a 450 Ford chassis -- it was still a Van vs. a Truck chassis. To get the extra length needed for a Class C greater than 24 feet, they weld extensions to the I-Beams on the existing van chassis. Not sure of the longer Winnie, but mine was also a basement model and fairly tall -- making it (1) a huge sail in the wind, and (2) very top heavy on sharp turns.

The next issue is Net Carrying Capacity. Mine was around 2,000 #'s and OK. As a full timer, unless one goes w/a pusher, the carrying load available will always be a problem -- even with most Class A's. Anyway, before you buy, be sure to check that number -- ESPECIALLY if it has slides. A single slide on a Class C weighs about 1,500 #'s. If your total is only 2,000 w/o the slide -- you now have only 500 left.

From the 500 Net Carrying Capacity, you must then subtract the weight of all passengers including the driver, anything you carry, plus the weight of the water you store while traveling -- also any extras added by you or the dealer "after" it leaves the factoy. Am always amazed at the Sales folk as they show you the tons of basement storage, but neglect to tell you that about the only thing you can store there is popped popcorn. :) :eek:

Now, if you ask in this thread why go to a Class A instead, many including myself would give you many reasons. About the only advantage I found in the C was the initial ease of driving. Once you get used to the Class A, it's about the same -- only nicer because of the openness the driver has of their environment.

OTOH, the most populare family rig IS the 24 foot Class C. It is the highes volume rental ever -- and makes sense for those with part time usage.

Nothing at all wrong wrong with the Winnie, but if you want something in the 30+ foot range you are much better off with a Class A. And they don't cost any more than a Class C. However, if yo are looking for a floor plan that sleeps two adults and two children, then you my be stuck with a C. Few A's offer sleeping accomodations for more than two - the targeted buyers are mostly seniors rather than families with children.

If you are convinced a big Class C is the right rig for you, The Winnie 31C is a fine choice. Check the NADA Guide for average retail prices  NADA  and offer substantially less.  Most private sales go for well under avergae retail, so try not to pay more than the low retail value for that model. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom